bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Let’s talk About Period Sex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

I remember when I was younger, and an older friend of mine mentioned having sex with her partner while on her period and I was disgusted. I was so uncomfortable with my female anatomy and her processes that I couldn’t fathom the idea of another person even wanting to be a part of that. For me, this was unnatural, unsanitary, and just wrong. 

However, now I know that period sex is not something you should avoid. Unless you are absolutely against it or the thought of it makes you squirm, maybe sex during your period is something you ought to consider. There are so many benefits from having sex on your period, and though it can be messy, it doesn’t always have to be. Usually, the most significant barrier in having sex during your period is feelings of discomfort for the individual who is menstruating. Below are some reasons why you might want to try it yourself. 

It is 100% safe, and yes, it is sanitary: 

Think about it. During sex, there are so many bodily fluids being exchanged from saliva, sweat, urine, even blood if you’re into that, so menstrual blood isn’t a far reach. It is completely safe. However, the same standards apply to protect yourself against pregnancy, viruses, STI’s, or STDs. 

Benefits: 

Orgasms may relieve menstrual cramps. Menstrual cramps happen because your uterus is contracting to shed its lining. When you orgasm, the muscles in your uterus also contract, and then they release resulting in relief of those cramps. Sex also releases endorphins, which overall make you feel good. 

Messiness

If you’re considering having sex while on your period, it is important to note that it can get messy. Blood is present, but if you think it might be a problem, it is nothing that a dark towel or shower sex can’t help with. I also believe that considering an inside condom also known as a female condom can help with this issue as it sits inside of the vagina which can help protect the penetrator from the menstrual blood.

This brings me to my next point because it’s important that we remember that sex isn’t just penetrative; most women orgasm quicker and more often from clitoral stimulation. The use of a menstrual cup or a tampon will completely block blood flow so you can still enjoy some great head without the mess. 

In a 2016 survey by Flex, a company that is devoted to making periods and period sex more pleasing, showed that out of 500 men and women, nearly half described period sex as “gross” or “pretty gross,” while 55% consider it “natural” or “awesome.” Many people have sex during their periods; the same study showed that even though 45% described it as gross, 80% have done it anyway. Most women’s hormones are on full throttle during this time of the month and may be more willing to try period sex if there wasn’t so much taboo surrounding it. 

Period sex may not be for everyone, but If you have never been completely opposed to it, maybe it’s time you try. Your sex life doesn’t have to be put on hold because of your period. You might even find that you enjoy it more than you expected.

Jahaira is a double major in Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies and a campus correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Wells College. 
Wells Womxn