Style > Beauty

Let Your Hair Down: Your Go-To Guide for Healthier Curly Hair

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

This is an article for all the curly-headed beauties out there. Having curly hair can be a bit of a struggle at times, regardless of the season. When I was younger or even a freshman in college, you would not catch me with my hair down. It was frizzy, poofy, dry and just an overall mess. It became even more difficult to manage because of how dry, thick and voluminous it was. My hair is still not where I want it to be. However, we all have a journey to healthier hair. Mine is still continuing and I’m learning along the way! Here are some tips that you can try out to get you on track to healthier curls:

OILS and CONDITIONING 

First thing’s first, hair masks and hot oil treatments are your best friends. If you have dry, curly hair you should be treating and deep conditioning your hair at least once a week. I use the Queen Helene Jojoba Hot Oil Treatment and I recently bought the Deep Repair hair mask by Macadamia Natural Oil. There are tons of different brands for treatments and masks. Point is, oil is a life saver. There are tons of different oils, but find the one that will solve the most of your problems. I prefer almond oil. However, there’s coconut, olive, tea tree…the list goes on.

PRODUCT CHOICE

Always AVOID sulfates in your products. When it comes to ingredients, products that do not have that many ingredients are better for your hair. Use a curl cream to accentuate your curls. Also, leave in conditioners with the right ingredients can keep your hair vibrant and looking hydrated. The more natural the ingredients are, the better it is for your hair!

SHOWERING

Try not to shampoo every day. Your hair does not need to be washed with soap every single time you shower. When you do wash, bring a comb with you in the shower to get out the tangles while you condition. I know it can be hard, but remember to leave the conditioner in for a few minutes. This helps the conditioner do its job and the results are better. Wash your hair when you have time, so your hair gets the love, attention and care it needs.

DRYING PROCESS 

When drying hair, try not to do it with a towel. Use an old T-shirt or bed shirt to rinse out the access water. Letting your hair air dry is the best option. So try not to wash your hair before bed. Sleeping on wet hair can be awful for the noggin.

Another thing, DRINK UP! And STAY HYDRATED. Water is your second bestie pertaining to healthy hair and scalp.

SNIP SNIP

One of the best ways to keep the locks healthy is a regular trim. I get it is painful to chop off all your hard work but split ends kill. Not to be dramatic, but they do kill your hair and stunt growth. Point is, healthy hair is sometimes hard to accomplish. However, don’t get too discouraged. Use these tips and tricks, pass them on and learn on the way.

Wells Womxn