How to Spend School Breaks Alone but Not Lonely

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Right off the bat, I want you to know that I totally get it. 

Right now the entire world is talking about nothing but the freaking holidays. Commercials, movies, special TV episodes, reruns of special TV episodes, social media, advertisements. All of it. All the time -even the Hallmark channel has been airing holiday movies since the middle of October!

For a wide variety of reasons, many people find themselves alone during the holiday. With the emphasis on families and being with others, the holidays can be an especially lonely and trying time, even for those of us who enjoy our solitude. But don’t worry, there are lots of things that you can do to make the holidays a little less lonely when you’re alone. 

Create a schedule

hough it may seem counterintuitive, creating a schedule for your holiday can help you manage your time so that you get to relax and get a few things done. This schedule could be as simple as a to-do list on a post-it note, or you could write it in your planner or calendar. Make sure to add in all the fun things you can’t seem to fit in during the school year!

Read a book

Setting aside long periods of time to read can help you get around to finishing that book you’ve been wanting to read and feel accomplished. Reading can also help you unplug from technology. It’s still a relaxing activity, but you won’t feel like a zombie in front of your computer or television.

Try meditation/yoga

I tried yoga again for the first time in a long time this past week and It feels like an activity that easily takes my mind off of my surroundings. Yoga benefits both your mental and physical health, and it is a good way to spend a holiday alone since it can be a solitary activity. You will be able to improve your concentration and feel at peace.

Stay connected to those you love

Make sure to leave time to spend with friends and/or family who value you. And if they don’t live close by, call them for a “reality check” or some “grounding.” Remember to ask for support if you need it, some friends might ask you to go home with them so you’re not alone for the holidays, thank them.

Be kind to yourself 

If you’re feeling blue, pamper yourself. Do what feels good, and what you want to do. Try to take a walk or spend time alone, if that’s what you want. Remember, this is your holiday too, and you can be there for yourself just like you try to be for everyone else.

Last, you know when people say, “Take care,” and it’s like, “What the fuck do you even mean?” Well, take care. Take care of the part of you that needs a little extra attention because you’re you and hey, that’s something to take care of. 

Hey it's Nash! ╭☞( ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°)╭☞
Wells Womxn