How to Chill Without Netflix

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

It is safe to say that Netflix has taken over our lives. Most people watch a Netflix show at any chance they can get. It may be what they fall asleep to at night and do at any free time given. It is not to say that Netflix is bad however there are always other options. There are things you can do on your downtime or in your bed that may be more helpful. These alternatives can be healthier for the brain, your emotions, rest and relaxation.

You can have your Netflix show but try switching up what you decide to do on your downtime., here are some options:

Listen to New Music 

Music is always a good way to relax, cope and rest yourself. I’ve had moments where I get sick of my playlists. I am always ready to expand my taste and choice in music. Try exploring apps like Spotify, YouTube and Apple music. Try creating playlists for different things you do. Have a homework one, relaxation one, car music, workout playlist, before bed playlist, in the morning playlist, the list goes on. Always check out the recommended for you on music apps. Expand your horizons and taste. With technology comes accessibility.

Listen to Podcasts

Instead of watching Netflix try listening to a podcast. There are podcasts on most music apps. Spotify even has a podcast section. You can find a podcast on almost anything. From news, pop culture, politics, business, entertainment. Spotify has a genre called “podcasts.” Under there you will find all the different categories. Your brain will still be working and thinking but you do not need to be the one talking or reading.

Watch some YouTube

YouTube can become just as addicting as Netflix, however, there is a wider range. YouTube has all the options you could ask for. There’s music, blogging, tips, cooking, educational videos, crash courses, real people doing/explaining real life things. Once there’s a search bar the world is yours. Ted Talks are always informational and there is versatility within them.

Utilize the notes app on your phone

I don’t know about you but I use my “notes” on my phone heavily. I have random thoughts, stories, poems, to-do lists, ideas. Sometimes it can be a hassle to dig out a journal and actually write. The phone is accessible and easy to type on. So, use this to your advantage.

Reading does not always have to be For homework

I know not everyone likes to pick up a book. However, there are books on everything. Base your choices on your interests and go from there. It doesn’t always have to be a physical book. There’s newspapers, magazines, novels, and choices online.  Ebooks, news articles, pdf’s, academic articles, short stories, and poems are all accessible through the internet. Reading does not have to be work. Reading should be relaxing, enjoyable and interesting.

Wells Womxn