How Celebs Can Pass a Vibe Check During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

By now, I’m sure you’ve seen this video of various celebrities singing a cover of “Imagine” by John Lennon. The video was meant to be uplifting and a sign of unity during this hard and confusing time we’re all facing during the COVID-19 pandemic. And it was a good gesture, but one that doesn’t do any more good than warm fuzzy feelings.

A lot of people, myself included, are actually a little mad about this. In this country, if you want to help people through a tough time, you need money. If you have the money to do so, you can enact good and real change for lots of people. 

Positive news seems rare these days and people don’t have much hope for the future right now. But that’s because of underlying issues like how can people stockpile food if they live paycheck to paycheck? Or how can they pay rent if they’ve been fired and told to self-quarantine? Or the inevitable medical bills that come with getting sick? Our economy is not meant to function ‘from home,’ and millions of Americans are going to get hit hard by this pandemic financially. Those are the people rich celebs should be helping.

We saw a similar thing when the Australian bushfires were raging earlier this year (I know that was this year). Lots of celebs tweeting sad emojis about the lost lives, homes, and animals in the fires. But not a lot of celebs actually donating any of their wealth to help the situation.

Celebs can send out ‘good vibes’ all they want, but none of them can pass an actual vibe check without sending people more than ‘good vibes.’ When you see people suffering and feel a desire to help them, why is lifting their spirits your first response? If you have the means to help that person, help that person. By helping people financially, it lifts their spirits and solves the issues that brought their spirits down in the first place.

Dear celebs, I know you’re stuck in quarantine in your fully staffed massive mansions with nothing but your home gym, personal chef, and dozens of electronics to keep you occupied, but please consider donating some of your wealth. If you want to enact change, just do it. You already have the means, just find the desire to help your fellow people.

Amy Storti

Wells '21

Wells College Class of 2021 English Literature Major
Wells Womxn