This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Most of us love to celebrate Valentine’s Day, it’s a day for you and your partner to express your feelings for each other. Whether you’re going out or having a date night in, it can be hard to budget for Valentine’s day. If you’re struggling to make Valentine’s plans on a budget here are a few ideas to get you started:

1. DIY Gifts

Sometimes the best presents are the ones made by hand and not some cheesy thing bought at a store. It’s pretty easy to wander around your local craft store to get inspired. One of my favorite sections is the wood section where you can paint/decorate anything from picture frames to birdhouses to jewelry boxes. Making something personal is sometimes the best gift.

Pinterest is also another great resource for sharing and finding great DIY gifts. There are dozens of DIY ideas on Pinterest, you just have to find the one that your partner will love!

Okay so this one’s super cheesy too, but a scrapbook for your partner about your relationship is also a really heartfelt gift. Walmart has quite a few cute scrapbooks all under $10! Walmart also makes it super easy to print photos from your phone starting at $0.25.

2. Super Cheesy Gifts

Sometimes cheesy Valentine’s gifts feel impersonal, but sometimes that’s all a person wants  (and because these gifts are so cheesy, they’re often cheap).

Walmart has these super cute chocolate roses wrapped in red, purple, yellow, and pink foil for only $1. There are also these matching ‘Love You’ and ‘Love You More’ mugs and wine glasses at Target for only $10.

3. Date on a Budget

Spontaneous picnics are also perfect for celebrating Valentine’s on a budget. Even if it’s not warm enough for an outdoor picnic, an indoor picnic complete with mood lighting can be perfect for your Valentine’s date (and often cheaper than going out to a restaurant).

You can also look up free events in your area. Facebook is perfect to see events happening around you that you not have heard of before! It can be your own sort of adventure to explore an event you’ve never been to with your partner.

4. Treat Yourself

Spending this Valentine’s by yourself or with friends? Not a problem. You can buy clay face masks in a tube that are way cheaper than when you buy single-use face masks. Burt’s Bees has one for under $3. Even if you’re not a fan of face masks that need to be washed off, Que Bella has sheet facial treatments for $2.

Netflix has also added some great classics recently that call for an epic movie marathon. Movies like Jaws 1-4, the entire Indiana Jones franchise, Pretty in Pink, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, and the newest adaptation of Little Women.

Whether you’re spending Valentine’s Day with your partner, your friends, or you just need a little ‘me’ time, there are plenty of options for you this holiday. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Amy Storti

Wells '21

Wells College Class of 2021 English Literature Major
Wells Womxn