This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

The importance of leading a sustainable lifestyle has been stressed more and more in recent years. When we typically think of ways of reducing our carbon footprint we think about things like using your car less, cutting down the use of plastic, or changing our diets. There are so many things we can change in our everyday lives that can be better improved to meet sustainable standards. One of these is with our makeup and skincare products! I don’t know about you, but my skin is my prized possession. Sustainable beauty isn’t only good for the environment, but it is also so much better for your skin. Products with too many ingredients can be harmful to your skin as they technically don’t have an expiration date. If something doesn’t have a shelf life would you want to put it on your face? We must question everything we put in our bodies, and we must also stay environmentally aware. We can do this by avoiding synthetic products and chemicals as much as we can and move towards more natural, plant-based products that are toxic-free. Big-name beauty brands like Garnier have been jumping on the sustainable bandwagon, and we love it.

A few years ago I stopped using huge name brand products on my skin because I became more aware of the ingredients used in those products. Parabens, sulfates, phthalates and other toxic chemicals do not belong on your skin and hair. Chemicals like these and many more strip your skin and hair of its natural oils. Other issues involving chemicals like phthalates include interference with regular human hormone expression. There have even been studies that show a link between paraben and phthalates levels and breast cancer cell development.

Luckily for us, Garnier products are free from these harsh chemicals, and it comes at an affordable price! Garnier’s sustainability goal is to show their consumers how to recycle their beauty and personal care products effectively while also selling products that are natural, biodegradable, and vegan! I think this is amazing because not only can you trust the product on your skin because of its natural ingredients, but it is also safe for the environment, and no animals were harmed in the process of making it.

I am someone who isn’t very big on trying new products as I get comfortable with my routine but I was lucky enough to receive some samples from Garnier, and I was incredibly impressed. One product that I enjoyed was the Micellar Cleansing Water. I have very sensitive skin, and the water removed my makeup without over drying my face and with no irritation at all. Another product that is amazing is the Coconut Extract 1-Minute Hair Mask. It smells fantastic and worked wonders for my dry curly hair. There are so many perks to going green, especially with your cosmetics. What are your favorite Green beauty products?

Jahaira is a double major in Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies and a campus correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Wells College. 
Wells Womxn