Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Girl Talk: Masturbation: Up Close and Personal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

In a culture that glorifies sex, why can’t we talk about masturbation? There’s nothing wrong with pleasuring yourself; in fact, many girls do. So let’s get real, let’s talk about masturbation; let’s embrace our bodies and move past stigmas.

I’m not saying that everyone should masturbate, but if you do, you shouldn’t have shame in it. Masturbating allows you to be more in touch with yourself and your body (literally) and is a good way to learn what you like and don’t like. It’s your body, you’re entitled to it! Our sexuality is such a huge part of our identity, so that said, there should be no shame in exploring yourself sexually. So how do we free ourselves from the guilt of loving ourselves?

Here are a few things that I’ve learned:

1) It can improve your sex life

Through masturbation, we can learn what we like and don’t like. We can try new things on ourselves that we might not yet be comfortable trying with another sexual partner. After all, you know how to please you the best!

2) You get to know yourself

There are things that our bodies do that we aren’t even aware of, and through masturbation, we can really learn things about ourselves. Not only do we learn what we like and don’t like, but through masturbation, we can really get a sense of how our bodies work. You could end up really surprising yourself!

1. It’s a healthy way to deal with sexual frustration

Admit it, we all have those moments where we are in dire need of some good sex. You know that saying “you are in control of your own happiness?” Well, this applies to your sex life as well.

4) It’s a good stress reducer

Want a healthy way to deal with aggression? Well, the rest is self-explanatory.

5) It teaches you to love your body on a whole new level

Masturbation allows us to really be in touch with and understand ourselves. In being intimate with yourself, you control your happiness, and you are literally making love to yourself. On the road to self-love, masturbation can actually guide you into self-loathing. I mean… you really are feeling yourself.

So don’t be ashamed, this form of loving yourself is totally natural. You aren’t dirty for loving your own body. Get up close and personal! After all, it is your body. So by all means, go fuck yourself.

Kaylen, a Campus Correspondent for HC at Wells, is a senior at Wells College studying Women's and Gender Studies and Psychology.  "Like Ivy, we grew where there was room for us"-Miranda July