This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

We all know there are plenty of ways to celebrate Women’s History Month, but here’s a way to appreciate awesome women from the pleasures of your own home. If you want to celebrate amazing women this Women’s History Month, but aren’t sure where to start, then here’s a list of 5 movies and shows on Netflix that you can watch that feature empowering women.

1. Dumplin’

This movie follows Willowdean Dickson and her friends who enter a beauty pageant to prove that pageants aren’t just for the conventionally beautiful woman. Willowdean also struggles to connect with her pageant queen mom who also happens to be running the pageant. The movie takes place following the loss of Willowdean’s aunt who was a mother figure to Willowdean while her actual mom was busy running pageants.

(Photo Credit: IMDB)

2. One Day at a Time

Based on the 1975 TV show of the same name, One Day at a Time follows the Alvarez family, a Cuban-American family, and features three generations of strong women. Lydia, the grandmother, immigrated to America from Cuba. Penelope is a single mother and supports the family while struggling with anxiety and depression. Elena is the youngest of the Alvarez women, but the most outspoken both on feminist issues and her own homosexuality.

(Photo Credit: IMDB)

3. Marie Kondo

In her new show, Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, Kondo shows people more than just decluttering their homes. Marie Kondo encourages her clients to only keep items that bring them joy and to always thank an item before throwing it out. Kondo’s methods have been described as “life-changing” by families who now live by her method after having appeared on her show.

(Photo Credit: neatntiny)

4. Good Girls

Good Girls features three moms who decide to take their lives into their own hands by robbing a local store. After the women discover that the store was actually a front for a money launderer, the series escalates as the women try to both placate the money launderer and fix their personal lives.​

(Photo Credit: IMDB)

5. Heroin(e)

Heroin(e) is a short documentary following the opioid epidemic in Huntington West Virginia through three prominent women who deal with the drug crisis in their area. These amazing women in the film are Jan Rader (the Huntington fire chief), Judge Patricia Kelly (head of the drug court for Cabell County), and Necia Freeman (who works with Brown Bag Ministry which delivers food to women who resort to prostitution to support their addiction).

(Photo Credit: IMDB)

We all know amazing women in our daily lives that both inspire and empower us to be the best that we can be. Watching these shows or movies may not transform you into the women that they feature, but hopefully, they do inspire us to be better just like women we know personally do every day.

Amy Storti

Wells '21

Wells College Class of 2021 English Literature Major
Wells Womxn