bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Eco-Friendly Tips for College Living

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

I can not begin to stress the importance of holding ourselves accountable for living more sustainable lifestyles. The current state of the planet is not favorable, and we are the ones at fault. There are many different ways you can be sustainable and “give back” to the planet. I believe that many people do not try exercising their green thumb because some sustainable ways of living seem time-consuming, too complicated, and expensive. While some aspects of living a completely sustainable life can involve making significant lifestyle changes, that isn’t always the case. Just tweaking a few minor things you do can leave a substantial impact on the environment, your health, and your community. As college students living in our own space, we should be thinking about how we can be more green in our spaces and when doing our daily activities. These are some tips and suggestions to consider when thinking about how you can green up your life while you’re at school. 

1. Unplug when you go 

Whenever you leave your room or apartment, make sure you unplug anything that you are not using. That means your small appliances like a Keurig, printer, fans, and chargers. If you want to make this part more manageable, you can always attach those items onto the same power strip and switch it off when you leave your space. 

2.  Shop local 

This might be a little harder to do at Wells since Aurora is a food desert but if you can buy local, you should. Buying local whether it is for groceries, home supplies, or clothes means less travel energy and cost – as well supporting the community around you.  One excellent option that we have at Wells is the Farmer’s Market every Saturday. Make sure to stop by and grab some fresh produce, plants, or crafts. 

3. Cut down on paper 

As college students in this day and age, I believe this to be one of the easiest to stick by. For the most part, most college students have laptops. Try your best to refrain from using paper and buying books for your notes and studies. Most books and textbooks come as an E-book, and most classroom notes can be typed on your personal computer. 

4. Donate things you no longer want 

Throughout the year we find ourselves buying things we don’t want later on. When it comes time to go home, there is A LOT of waste. Make sure to leave things you don’t want in the bargain basement which is located in Main basement or if you need something you’re missing and want to save your coins, also make sure to check it out. 

5.  Take a sustainability intro class at your college 

I took an intro to sustainability course in my first year at Wells, and it still is one of the most informative classes I have taken here. A course like this gets you thinking about the consequences of your actions and how it impacts the earth. You will learn how to incorporate sustainability into your everyday life, from how to properly dispose of your trash to the products you use on your skin.

There are so many ways you can begin (or continue) your journey to a more sustainable life. There is always a “more green” option, so look into the ways you can be more green and always try to consider those as options.

Jahaira is a double major in Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies and a campus correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Wells College.