freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Cupid Wants You to Love Yourself First This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a day that really stands out for me every year. Some people are delighted when February rolls around; others have a sour taste in their mouths about it,and for many feelings of loneliness arise., while others feel indifferent. Many people bend over backwards for others on an everyday basis, especially on days like Valentine’s. A lot of us always focus on pleasing other people and we tend to neglect ourselves.  Before I continue, I want to note that Valentine’s Day is a day about Love, not romance, and that love includes self-love. If we don’t take the time to honor and appreciate ourselves, how can we expect that others will? In fact, the more we neglect ourselves, the more it can affect the relationships we have, so it’s important that we make ourselves a priority.

1. Spend the day doing what brings you joy: We should always do things that make us happy. Whether it is watching Netflix all day, reading a book, sleeping in, or taking a long walk, do it! We shouldn’t do things that bring us joy only once a year, but it is a nice way to start.

2. Practice self-affirmations: This is a lot easier said than done but please try this even if it sounds corny. We are not taught to show ourselves love through words or actions ever really. Practicing self-affirmations every day or whenever you can, can help change the way you see and think about yourself. You can focus on whatever attributes you like most about yourself first. This can be a skill you have, a physical or personality trait you have that you love. The most important part is that you do this consistently.

3. Home spa day: Even though self-love goes beyond face masks and a glass of wine, it still counts! To practice some self-love this Valentine’s day, I say treating yourself to an at-home spa day (or an actual spa day) is a great way to do it. Face masks, nail polish, deep hair treatments, bath bombs, even sleeping. Relaxing and taking care of your physical appearance is always a treat and a lovely way to spend the day.

4. Take yourself on a date: If you’re willing to spend a little extra money, then why not use it on yourself! I am guilty of taking myself on dates perhaps a little too often. I usually take myself to see a movie and then grab a meal. Whatever your ideal date is, do that for yourself!  

5. Surround yourself with people you love: Family, friends, co-workers, whoever – if being around these people brings you happiness, try to spend this day with those you care about. I feel that we don’t think about how important our close relationships or even daily interactions affect us enough. You are loved, so you deserve to be and feel loved, so hang out with those who do that for you without you having to ask.

6. Cancel your plans: This might seem like a weird addition to the list, especially after the previous one, but I know this is something that happens to all of us. We all have committed to plans we don’t really want to be a part of.  If you made plans for Valentine’s and you’re looking for a reason to not go, use this article. Do it for you, sis, cancel those plans.

A common misconception is that if you’re not in a relationship that you’ll be miserable this time of the year. Just because you’re single, this Valentine’s doesn’t mean that you’re lonely or that you’re alone because you always have yourself! The same stands for people that have someone for this holiday. However you decide you to spend Valentine’s day this year, make sure that it is a good one for you, and that you’re practicing self-love outside of Valentine’s day.

Jahaira is a double major in Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies and a campus correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Wells College. 
Wells Womxn