rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

College is the Best Time of Your Life to Learn How to Knit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Yeah, you read that right. Learning how to knit in college is probably one of the most interesting yet unexpected skills you could have! It’s fun, calming and not as hard as people think it is.

I know, you’re probably reading this and thinking “knitting is for old ladies.” Well, I’m here to tell you that it isn’t. Many people from the younger generations (like us Millennials) are hopping on the knitting train! 

If you’re still not convinced to get in this renewed trend, here are some reasons why you should!

Knitting can keep your hands busy when you want to give your brain a rest

All day you have been reading, writing, studying and whatever other countless amounts of work you do in a college day. When you finally get back to your dorm room, you don’t want to do anything. But, if you’re anything like me, you feel like you’re wasting your time by doing nothing. To fix this, I usually knit while watching a show. It helps me feel like I’m accomplishing something while also relaxing.

Something to be proud of!

There’s nothing better than the feeling of after completing something that you created. What’s even better is that YOU made this and now you can wear your creation and show it off to everyone! Trust me, it’s great to say that “I made this” when someone is complimenting your knitting skills!

You can make all the winter stuff you will ever need!

If you have enough time on your hands to knit, you can definitely make as many scarves, hats, gloves, socks or whatever else you may need! You will never freeze again! Which is particularly helpful during these cold winter months when the heat isn’t on.

Extra? Money? Christmas Gifts?

So, if you do make plenty of knitting goods, you could have so many extras that you could sell them to other people or just give them away as gifts! It’s a perfect, non-expensive, way to give gifts or to get some extra cash to spend at The Well. It totally helps!

An interesting fact to put on Tinder?

It’s officially cuffing season, folks! Why not blow the minds of potential partners with the fact that you could make them a 20-foot scarf? Knitting is sexy!

I’m guessing you’re fully convinced to start knitting! If not, then reread this article until you are… 

Just kidding, there’s no pressure! :) 

Here is a helpful video made by Hobby Lobby to help you on your knitting adventures!

Happy Knitting!!

My name is Parker Howell. I love to spend my time writing (mostly poetry) and cuddling with my cat when he's not biting me. I'm majoring in Creative Writing at Wells College so writing is a major influence in my life. I love cacti, corgis, and chai tea.
Wells Womxn