This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Sometimes when we least expect it, the universe throws us into a situation that will absolutely change our lives. When I reflect on experiences I’ve had or people I’ve met, I usually have a “before and after” realization about how my life was before this specific thing came into my life, and after. Last year, for the first time, our school decided to open up a theatre class elective to our LSI program, better known as our special education program. Our lovely theater teacher had no experience with teaching theatre to a group of students who require special needs. The definition of our always offered introduction to theatre and acting class could not apply to this situation. This theatre class would not be centered around students memorizing monologues and scenes. This opportunity to teach theatre for LSI students would call for a change in the way a traditional theatre and acting class is set up. But what that shift would entail, our teacher was not quite sure of. During that hour, I had a free period, that was until our theatre teacher approached me and asked if I would be open to assisting her in teaching this LSI theatre class. I said, of course, curious about what would happen. 

Sometimes, it’s very easy to lose track of the simple things in life that can bring joy. It’s so easy to expect extravagant moments, and to be miserable and disappointed when our daily life stays ‘mundane.’ This was something that I became aware of while working with the LSI theatre students every day through my senior year. The way this class worked was that there were two divisions, alternating every other day. With each group, we worked on theatre activities that engaged all of the senses and focused on the importance of teamwork and stimulation of the imagination. Very quickly, my role transitioned from being an assistant to a classmate and friend. These students were the most beautiful people in the whole school, I have no doubt in my mind about that. There was such a raw expression of joy and contagious excitement consistently among the group. It was inspiring and entirely refreshing to see them filled with exuberance and energy when approaching the given day’s activity, even if it was a game that we had played two days before. Nothing was dull. A favorite tradition among the class was to spend the first 10 minutes of class time dancing. Our teacher would turn on music that had been requested by the students, and we would just dance around the theatre!

I soon realized that this hands down was the best part of every day, the reason that I wasn’t complaining about waking up at 6:30 am. Being around these lovely humans changed my life and made me an entirely better and more loving person. The friends that I made from this class were always themselves, never trying to put up a facade. They expressed what they felt so fully! If they were excited, they would show it, if they were full of love, they would show it (my one friend, in particular, would bring notes to every class about the love she felt for theatre class)! My friends from this theatre class also loved each other for who they were, nothing else. There was only the most authentic self that could be expressed in that environment, and it was certainly celebrated! Being a part of this experience taught me what it means to truly be yourself and to love others for who they are, regardless of social structure. For an hour a day, I was reminded that everyone and everything is so beautiful and should be celebrated no matter the circumstance! Before being a part of LSI theatre, I lacked appreciation for the beauties of daily life, going through the motions waiting for the next exciting moment. But after this class, I realized that every single moment of life is an exciting moment! No matter who you are, where you are, or what you’re doing, you’re beautiful. There is so much joy always around, it’s up to us to see and take part in it. Who knows, maybe if you start to see everything for its raw beauty, perhaps you’ll have a before and after experience for yourself!

Hey, I'm Sarah!╭☞( ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°)╭☞