3 Things to Consider When Creating the Perfect Environment for Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

When it comes to finding the perfect place to dive into a book, it is extremely important to find an environment that’s suitable for your specific needs. If you are not comfortable with where you are, it will be very hard to immerse yourself in a book, and getting frequently distracted will most likely pull you away from your book. If you’re having trouble finding a comfortable place to focus, here are three things to consider that will help you create a perfect personalized reading environment! 

1. What is your ideal lighting?

Personally, the most important factor in my reading experience is the lighting that I am trying to read in. You would be surprised to know how much the lights around you can mess with your focus and immersion. Are you reading on a computer or a tablet? If so, consider how the blue light from your screen may affect your ability to focus for long durations of time. You might be straining your eyes, making your ability to read for long periods strenuous. Consider dimming the screen or switching to a non-electronic reading option if you find staring at a screen to be detrimental to your experience. Are you trying to read a book in a dimly lit area? This may also strain your eyes and throw off your ability to focus. Consider moving to an area that’s lit by natural light through windows or a room that has a brighter overhead light. When you’re in an environment that suits your lighting preferences, your eyes will not be strained and you will have an easier time getting comfortable and focusing on your book. 

1. What are you sitting on? 

Think about what kind of chair you’re sitting on and how you’re sitting in it. Are you sitting in a chair with a hardback? If you tend to get stiff from sitting up straight for too long, maybe consider switching to a softer chair. If you get stiff after a short amount of time because of your chair, your focus will be pulled from your book and you will want to move to a different seat. This is distracting and most likely will ruin your reading vibes. Be sure to evaluate your seating situation before you start to read so that you won’t have to worry about chair related distractions. Are you sitting up straight or are you lounging? Some people may find that lounging creates a relaxing environment that makes reading easier, while others will find that being too relaxed while trying to read may lead to falling asleep. Consider which type of person you are, and adjust seating positions accordingly. 

1. Are you reading in a public or a private setting? 

If you are reading in a public setting, consider how what’s happening around you may shift your focus away from your book. Some people focus better when in public space, and if you are that person, great! However, some find it difficult to focus while in a public setting. If you know that you will be distracted, move somewhere private! Instead of starting and stopping, find that perfect setting whether private or public and get ready to read!  

There are three things to consider when creating a perfect reading space! Take time to get to know yourself, and from that, you can ask questions that will lead you to the perfect reading space. May your days be filled with distraction-less reading!

Hey, I'm Sarah!╭☞( ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°)╭☞
Wells Womxn