Wellness > Health

10 Instagram Accounts That Have Inspired my Body Positivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wells chapter.

Through my recovery, I’ve found some Instagram accounts that really inspire me to work toward loving my body. These accounts act as a recovery community to me, where we understand, support, and inspire each other. For some of us, these accounts may be the only place where we’re finding the support system we need; friends and family don’t always get it, but we do. Here are some of my favorite accounts:

1. Lindseyhallwrites

This is one of my absolute favorite accounts as I feel that I relate to it the most. Lindsey Hall writes and speaks about her Eating Disorder and PCOS in a way that draws you in. Her style of writing is so genuine that after following this account for six months or so, I feel like I’ve known her my entire life (and I don’t… that’s just the power of her writing)! I’ve never related to someone’s posts more, and they really pick me up when I’m having a hard recovery day.

2. Nonairbrushedme

This account displays all different kinds of body types, never failing to show off their authentic beauty. These posts do not equate beauty to body size (I mean… in reality beauty is NOT dependent on the size of one’s body, it’s only diet culture that has taught us that)! Personally, my eating disorder has programmed me with a fear of getting bigger, but this account is a reminder to me that my beauty will never be compromised… no matter what size I am.

3. Nourishandeat

This is one of the first recovery accounts I’ve ever followed. Gina is an advocate for body acceptance as well as an ambassador for the National Eating Disorders Association. I love this account because she’s always posting little reminders that get me through the day. They encourage me to see the good in bad days, to eat when I feel like I don’t deserve it, and to keep my recovery going strong.

4. Effyourbeautystandards

I absolutely love this account! Not only does it encourage loving your body unconditionally but it is intersectional and run by nine people who all have their own stories and unique perspectives. This account not only makes me feel like I have support as an individual in eating disorder recovery but as a queer individual in recovery. This account also is representative of women of color in recovery, which is often left out of the picture through the white-washing of the body positivity movement.

5. Enamasiama

Enam Asiama proudly identifies as a “Fat Queer Femme.” They are a Plus Size Advocate and model, focusing on embracing their body rather than changing it. This account is a great inspiration to me to love my body unconditionally. I mean… it looks fucking fantastic!

6. Mynameisjessamyn

Jessamyn is a Yoga Teacher who encourages self-love in all body sizes. She uses yoga as a way to make the mind and the body whole. Personally, this is something that I need to remind myself of as I’ve lost that wholeness through my Eating Disorder.

7. Ownitbabe

This account belongs to Rini, who is a blogger with a focus on Self-love, recovery, and mental health. She focuses on “food freedom” which means not restricting and letting yourself love your body no matter what you’ve eaten. Live a little!

8. Freedomfeelsbetter

This account is run by Gina who is also a blogger about mental health and ED recovery. She posts reminders daily that keep me going when I’m having a hard day. Her style of writing is very authentic and encourages one to become connected to their minds, bodies, and environment.

9. Drcolleenreichmann

Dr. Colleen Reichmann is a Clinical Psychologist with a focus on eating disorder recovery. I love her page as she is very interactive with her followers; she often lets you ask questions on her story to which she will answer authentically, giving the advice and attention that you need.

10. Therapywithailey

Ailey Jolie is a somatic therapist. Her page gives reminders but also does not sugarcoat the process of recovery. Recovery is hard… and she doesn’t hide that. However, she acknowledges that it isn’t impossible.

These are just some accounts that have really helped me. There are several more, but if you’re looking for some accounts these are a great start! Just a shout out to all of these accounts: thank you for sharing your story. It means a lot to those who can’t and gives us that extra boost that we need. Because of you, I’ve been able to get started on my recovery and I’ve decided to make my own recovery account as well (recovery.tastes.sweeter)! And a shoutout to those who are recovering/hoping to recover: YOU CAN DO IT. It’s not going to be easy… but the power to recover is within you. Sending so much love. Let your body be.

Kaylen, a Campus Correspondent for HC at Wells, is a senior at Wells College studying Women's and Gender Studies and Psychology.  "Like Ivy, we grew where there was room for us"-Miranda July
Wells Womxn