Organizing Relay for Life: Jess Haladyna

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wellesley chapter.

This spring, Wellesley will be hosting its first Relay for Life event. Relay participants will walk around the track in the field house from 7 P.M. to 7 A.M. on April 22-23 in order to raise money and awareness for cancer, cancer victims, and cancer survivors.

Photo courtesy of Jess Haladyna

Junior Jess Haladyna is organizing the event as the Event Chair of Wellesley’s Relay for Life Committee. Haladyna’s involvement in the organization began long ago when a family member was diagnosed with cancer.
“My little brother was diagnosed with cancer when he was three, so I’ve been involved in Relay since I was eight years old,” Haladyna said. “I’ve participated, been a team captain and then finally, I worked my way up to the Event Chair. I think I’ve taken on a larger role every year.”
But Relay isn’t just about raising money to find a cure for cancer. Honoring survivors is one of the largest roles the event fills. One of the prominent parts of Relay for Life is the Luminaria Ceremony. During the ceremony paper bags filled with glow sticks line the track. Team members can donate a bag to a loved one.

Photo courtesy of Jess Haladyna

“It’s such an emotional time,” Haladyna said. “I always try to get a luminaria for my little brother. Just for me, hearing the soft music and walking around the track, and then I see that glowing bag with my little brother’s name on it and I know he survived. He’s all better. He’s just an annoying little brother and it’s such a great experience to come to relay and have so much fun and know you are there for something amazing as well.”

If you are interested in participating you can visit www.relayforlife.org/wellesleycollege or email Jess Haladyna at jhaladyn@wellesley.edu.

Katie is a sophomore at Wellesley College majoring in Biological Sciences. In 2008 she attended J Camp, a journalism program sponsored by the Asian American Journalists Association, and in 2009 she received an Arizona Scholastic Journalist Award for Newspaper as the Editor-in-Chief of her high school paper. Someday she hopes to be a medical reporter. The Arizona native is still adjusting to frigid Massachusetts, but likes to be able to experience the phenomenon that is snow. She enjoys spending her free time volunteering and looks forward to returning home to play with her two German Shepherds.