My Trip to The Donkey Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wellesley chapter.

Oh gosh, where do I begin? The Donkey Show is everything I ever wanted from an exciting Saturday night.  Hot, dancing, half-naked male fairies, 70’s disco music blasting through the speakers, a titillating Titania, so much glitter…the pleasures go on and on. 

The great thing about The Donkey Show is the array of audience members.  I saw college kids, young women celebrating a bachelorette party, a group of adults in business attire and over-the-hill men and women getting their groove on.  Though The Donkey Show may be deemed as risqué there is no doubt that it brings all types of fun people down to the Oberon club in Cambridge.

The Donkey Show is a dance party, musical rendition of A Midsummer Night’s Dream (yes, I know Shakespeare would be proud!).  The music is set to the hot tracks of 70’s disco such as “Respect”, “Car Wash”, and the like.  But this musical isn’t your typical Wicked show.  There is a stage, yet the only seats around are up against the wall.  The show takes place on the stage, on the dance floor, on the railings, the stairways, and basically anywhere you can see.  This means that you may end up dancing right next to Puck (the Pusher, ha ha) as he transforms Bottom into an ass.

I highly recommend you check this show out. And for only $15 what’s there to lose (besides your virgin eyes)?

The Donkey Show blazes the night every Saturday at 8:00 and 10:30PM.  I recommend going there a couple minutes early to meet the characters while in line. 

To learn more about The Donkey Show check out: http://www.americanrepertorytheater.org/events/show/donkey-show

And check out Oberon’s website for any more fabulous shows:
http://www.cluboberon.com/upcoming

Katie is a sophomore at Wellesley College majoring in Biological Sciences. In 2008 she attended J Camp, a journalism program sponsored by the Asian American Journalists Association, and in 2009 she received an Arizona Scholastic Journalist Award for Newspaper as the Editor-in-Chief of her high school paper. Someday she hopes to be a medical reporter. The Arizona native is still adjusting to frigid Massachusetts, but likes to be able to experience the phenomenon that is snow. She enjoys spending her free time volunteering and looks forward to returning home to play with her two German Shepherds.