This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

1) Sunscreen

Every girl who cares about their skin knows there is one thing more important than moisturizer, and that’s sun screen. Whether you’re porcelain and never even consider going out without SPF 80+ or you’re a beach babe who loves to lay in the sun and has never burned, you need sunscreen. With sunscreen you can make sure to soak up some healthy vitamin D without the harmful rays that can lead to skin cancer and brown spots. Plus it keeps you looking younger for longer!

2)  A Pop of Colour!

Whether it’s a bright orange scarf, fire hydrant red shoes, or magenta lipstick summer is the time to break out the colours. While most won’t consider it groundbreaking we often forget just how bright we can be in the summer months. As you prepare for the sun you might as well start raiding your closet for those pieces you put back because they were too loud in the winter.

3) Wedges

Heels can be fun when you want to look fancy and make your legs look like you’ve been going to the gym all day, but in reality we all know how difficult they are to walk in. Not to mention you can never take them too the beach! Instead get a strappy pair of wedges for the added “oomph”, without worrying you’ll break an ankle. Phewf!

4) Big Earrings

Beach hair can get a little unruly and who wants to spend their time inside styling it inside when you can put it in a messy bun and add some chunky earrings to take your look from messy to bohemian. Gold is always in for summer, but if not there are plenty of fun, bright, feather earrings around for summer. Play around!

5) Something Floral

Florals were never made for Fall and Winter, and in the Spring sometimes it’s just too rainy. So use summer to finally break out those cute floral shorts, or grab a crop top that can really bring the turn of the season to focus. For those of you trying to push your style boundaries it’s a print you can test out that doesn’t make too crazy of a statement while still grabbing the eye!

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!