Why Dancing Your Heart Out Is the Cure for the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Ah, February. The time of year when the sparkle of winter is beginning to lose its shine. There are no more dazzling holiday lights in store windows and the world just feels a little colder. It can be easy to sink into a cycle of wanting to sleep your days away and/or spend hours with Netflix. The struggle is more real than it has ever been. That said, I am here to tell you why giving Zumba or dancer-size a chance can really change your life at this depressing time of year.

1) You’ll release tons of endorphins.

Even if you don’t think you’ll be auditioning for So You Think You Can Dance anytime soon, dancing helps release tons of endorphins, which are the best kind of natural antidepressants. Just getting your body moving can boost your mood, and it is ultimately a great stress reliever.

2) It’s a very humbling experience (and there is no better medicine than laughter).

Dancing requires you to put your entire self out there. There is no hiding and, as embarrassed as you may feel, you will be reminded of what it is like to release your inner child. There really is nothing else like it. When is the last time you tried something for the first time? Dance is the perfect opportunity to try something new without judgement, and there is no better cure for seasonal mood disorders than laughter (even if that means learning to laugh at yourself a little).

3) Dancing helps to boost your memory.

Remembering dance moves can improve your memory in the long run. It is a great way to naturally strengthen your brain, as well as get some exercise. If you’ve never given it a try, now is the perfect time to sign up for a shoe-tag class with the university athletics department and give a dance class a go!

From jazz, to ballet, to Zumba there are a wide variety of recreational dance classes to choose from at the University of Waterloo. Sometimes the only way to beat that winter funk is to push yourself through it, and there is no better way to do so than in some dancing shoes!

Shannon Bradley is a third-year English major at the University of Waterloo. Her life motto is 'view everything as a learning experience'. Shannon is a tea enthusiast, and Zumba junkie. She is also passionate about creative writing, and started http://broadlyshan.blogspot.ca/.
Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros