This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Being Born in December can have its downfalls, but there are definitely many more things I love about my birthday month than I don’t. I mean I never did get to throw a pool party as a kid because of the chilly weather but this was also partially due to the fact that I don’t have a pool…

Anyways, here are my top five reasons why having a December, or Winter, birthday is the best!

(^also my all time favourite movie by the way!)

1. Christmas Spirit

My family celebrates Christmas but throughout December and well into the new year, various cultures have different celebrations. Everyone is in a jolly mood, and the festive scale is cranked to the max. Celebrating your birthday around a holiday just means a month-long celebration for you! Just try to tune out the bickering families and terrible fruit cake and it’s like an extended birthday party…only, in your head!

2. Cozy Blankets

Waking up on your birthday soaked in sweat with dry eyes from the fan you left on all night is no Sixteen Candles moment. But, if your birthday is in December and you live in the icebox known to others as Canada, you are bound to be swarmed in blankets on the AM of your birthday. There is nothing better than waking up in a fluffy cloud of warmth, plus it’s your birthday!

3. Holiday Baking

Sure vanilla is great, chocolate is too but having a birthday around the Holidays means you can expand your birthday baking to all the flavour combinations that come with Winter time. Peppermint-Mocha donuts? Gingerbread and marshmallow cake? The possibilities are endless!

4. The Apparel

While I don’t know if you could get away with wearing a head to toe sequin bodycon dress to a birthday party in July, it definitely flies in December! New Year’s Eve is right around the corner and stores have pulled out all things sparkly and fringey! A December birthday party is the perfect time to throw on a velvet holiday party dress, or a funky pantsuit because no one will judge!

(…..to my birthday of course!)

5. The Magic of Snow

While I may complain when I have to walk through a blizzard to make it to my 8:30, I do truly love the snow. I used to wish for snow on my birthday as a kid, and definitely still do today. There is something whimsical about a light snowfall on your birthday that makes the day seem fresh out of a Netflix Christmas movie.

Not like I had much choice, but I am so glad I was born in December! I think this year I will spend my birthday with a big cup of hot chocolate, a fuzzy blanket and maybe put a fake fire on my laptop!

Happy Birthday to me and all the other December babies! Good luck studying Warriors, but make sure to celebrate too!

(^I wish Jim threw me a birthday party… *look into camera and sighs*)

Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books. 
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!