What Type of Meredith Grey Were You This Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It’s February and stores stocked their shelves with pink and red streamers, candy hearts and lots of chocolate. February 14th is the one day a year when cheesy pickup lines and PDA are allowed, and you get to celebrate your love for your significant other as well as your friends and family. But for others, the day can also be a reminder that they are spending it alone yet again. Grey’s Anatomy’s Meredith Grey was part of one the greatest love stories in Drama TV before her husband had to go and get himself killed… thanks a lot Shonda Rhimes! Either way Mere has had lots of ups and down over the past fourteen seasons… and she is the perfect reflection of how you could have felt this V-Day!  

Find out which Meredith you were this Valentine’s season…

1. The Meredith who is bright and shiny for, like, a day.

For you, Valentine’s Day is the best day of the year and should be celebrated all year long. You love the overpriced red roses and cards with pugs on them – you are ‘bright and shiny’. You’ve got your man or woman by your side, and you get to celebrate how much you love them. Hopefully, the passion doesn’t fade the next day like it does for Meredith…

2. The Meredith who helps Cristina out of her wedding dress.

Like I said, Valentine’s Day is not for everyone, and maybe you need to leave all the pink wrapped hershey kisses aside to be there for a friend. Whether or not they have just gone through a breakup or were left at the altar like Cristina was, be there for them. Valentine’s Day can bring up some bad memories and remind people of what they used to have, so try and make the best of the day for them. Order some pizza, cry it out, or have a dance party on your living room table if you feel like it!

https://www.hercampus.com/life/family-friends/18-times-meredith-cristina-were-friendship-goals

3. The Meredith who walks away from both McDreamy and McVet…

You’ve been really thinking about what you want out of a relationship and what you want in life, and maybe the decision is just too hard. As much as it hurts, you walk away from both options and are going to try and work on yourself first. Go you, this takes a lot of courage! I mean look at Mere, she had to walk away from Derek AND Finn at the prom (while they were wearing tuxes)…

4. The Meredith who drinks a little too much to forget a lot…

So you’ve made some bad decisions and now you’ve turned to your trusty bottle of tequila to find all the answers – that’s okay! Meredith likes her tequila, but feel free to substitute with your beverage of choice! 5. The Meredith who has to listen to Cristina’s pep talk…

Your best friend has advised you many times that this boy is not your world, but you continuously ignore those signs because you are blinded by his amazing surgical skills, or impeccably good hair, or whatever. Now it’s Valentine’s Day, you two are no longer together, and you’re crying to your bestie about how your life is over. If you’re as lucky as Mere, you will have someone like Cristina Yang telling you straight up how it is. After all, he’s not the sun, you are!

6. The Meredith who goes all Pick Me. Choose Me. Love Me…

It’s all the hearts, cupid, and the giant flashing L-O-V-E signs that are getting to you. You think it’s the perfect time to confess your love to that special someone you have had your eye on for quite some time now. You pull a classic Meredith when Derek can’t choose between Addison and Meredith, and lay it all out. Don’t feel bad, at least you’re being honest!

7. The Meredith who realizes Derek is the ONE!

Maybe you don’t build a layout of your dream house with candles, but you know he or she is the one and you want the world to know. Be like Meredith, be bold! He’s all, “It’s a beautiful day to save lives,” and your heart melts a little more each time, because there is no one else in the world for you. Hopefully everyone gets to have their own Mereder moment in life at least once, and, if you’ve got it, then celebrate to the fullest with your guy or gal!

Whether you’re one of these 7 Meredith’s or maybe more of an Izzie, or Cristina, celebrate Valentine’s Day how you want and with who you want! Share this article with someone who is feeling a little (or a lot) like Meredith this V-Day season!

Photo Credit: Cover PhotoPhoto 1

Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books. 
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!