alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Music Festivals to Attend this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

FOR AMERICAN FESTIVAL GOERS

INSTEAD OF COACHELLA…

Since 1999 Coachella has been held annually at the Polo Club in Indio, California. It is one of the biggest and most famous music festivals in the United States, and has attracted celebrities such as Kylie Jenner, Katy Perry, Fergie, and Vanesssa Hudgens.  Unfortunately, this also means that Coachella attracts tons of annoyingly basic guys and gals who are just there so that they can put it as the location in their Instagram photos. Not only that, but in case you haven’t heard, a plane ticket to California’s boiling hot Coachella Valley doesn’t come cheap. However, if you’re still interested in going, this year’s festival will be taking place between April 15th and 24th and will be headlined by LCD Soundsystem, Guns N’ Roses, and Calvin Harris.

…HIT UP THE GOVERNORS BALL

The Governor’s Ball is an alternative/rock/rap/electronic/everything music festival held on Randall’s Island in New York City. And yes, this means that while you’re crazy fan-girling to Mr. Brightside you’ll be able to enjoy a spectacular view of the NYC skyline. It’s true that the Canadian-American dollar exchange is awful right now, and if you’re under 21 you can’t even legally drink in the States, but it’s still worth it to go and see the crazy lineup headlined by The Strokes, The Killers, and Kanye West. Not only that, but there’s totally a super cute GOV BALL sign for photo ops. This year’s festival is taking place between June 3rd and 5th, and we know it’s going to be unreal.

FOR COUNTRY MUSIC FESTIVAL GOERS

INSTEAD OF BOOTS & HEARTS…

Boots & Hearts is Canada’s largest camping and music festival, taking place in Oro-Medonte, Ontario. Anyone you talk to will tell you it’s not even so much about the music played anymore, but actually about the amazing experience of camping (and getting totally turnt) with your friends. Of course, for people who really do just want to enjoy the music without some guy trying to grind on them to Boy’s Round Here, Boots & Hearts might not be the choice for you. This year’s festival will take place between August 4th and 7th and will be headlined by Blake Shelton, Tim McGraw, and Dierks Bentley.

… HIT UP CAVENDISH BEACH MUSIC FESTIVAL

Cavendish Beach Musical festival takes place in a former cow pasture in Cavendish, PEI, and it is the largest music festival in Atlantic Canada (which really isn’t saying much.) However, before you skip reading the rest, you should know that Cavendish delivers every year with amazing line ups while promising an intimate festival going experience that makes the trip to the East Coast worth it. Plus, you still get to camp if you choose to! This year’s festival is headlined by The Band Perry, Blake Shelton, and Kenny Chesney, and is taking place between July 8th and 10th.

FOR ALTERNATIVE MUSIC FESTIVAL GOERS

INSTEAD OF OSHEAGA

If you’re like me, you probably first heard about Osheaga at the beginning of high school when 3 or 4 of the “cool” kids in your grade went and came back with abstract ribcage tattoos and tall tales about all the drugs they did. For those of you who have been living under a rock for the last decade, you should know that Osheaga is an alternative music festival that takes place in Parc Jean-Drapeau outside of Montreal. It’s important to note, however, that the festival’s rapidly growing popularity has lead to rumors that it’s going downhill due to big crowds that often include plenty of douchebags. You know, like the guy who left me for a girl he met there that I’m totally not bitter about. Anyways, this year’s festival is taking place between  July 29th and 31st with a lineup headlined by the Red Hot Chili Papers, Lana Del Rey, and Radiohead.

…HIT UP WAYHOME

If you’re looking for something newer and fresher than Osheaga, look no further than WayHome Music & Arts Festival. WayHome began just last year as a huge hit in Oro-Medonte, Ontario. With this in mind, as well as the plenty art installations and provided on-site camping with fellow music lovers, you’ll have everything you need to feel hipster enough to put the word “wanderlust” somewhere in your Insta bio. This year’s festival is taking place between July 22nd and 24th and is headlined by LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire, and The Killers. I know I already have my tickets, so I hope I’ll see you there!

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!