What I Learned After My First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

My first year at the University of Waterloo is coming to a wrap, and wow, time flies by fast. Over the last year, I’d like to think I’ve learned a few things and would like to pass on my wisdom to you!

1. Go to Class

Personally this is something I struggled a lot with. Chem at 8:30 in the morning? No thanks. But I also learned that my parents are putting a lot of money into my education, so if I don’t go, why am I here? It may not be the most motivational speech you’ll hear, but hey, it works for me (sometimes).

2. Your Weight Will Change

I’m pretty sure we’ve all heard of the ‘Freshmen Fifteen’ by now, and if you haven’t, it’s a saying that incoming freshmen will gain 15 pounds and their marks drop 15%. I hate to break it to you, but this isn’t entirely false. Of course everyone is different, but the different types of stress you experience can cause your weight to fluctuate; some people gain, and some lose, and that’s perfectly okay.

3. Plan Ahead

University is a whole new academic experience compared to high school. You get all the assignments and deadlines on the first day, and are expected to manage your time. What worked best for me, and my biggest tip for newcomers is to invest in a whiteboard calendar or some sort of organizer. That’s the only way you’ll know if you do have enough time to go out that night, or if you’re actually too busy this entire week.

4. You’re an Adult

They’re also not lying when they say you’re responsible for yourself once you get here. Professors are there for help, but you have to be the one to go for those opportunities. Nobody’s going to ask you why you didn’t hand in that assignment or didn’t do well on that test. Let’s face it, in the thousands of students here, you have to be your own advocate.

5. Have Fun

I know it sounds cliché, but this is the awkward phase before actually becoming an adult in the adult world. So you do have a little time to enjoy yourself before you have to, you know, do what adults do.

I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!