Ways to Give Back this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

With exam season upon us, the holiday season is also here and Christmas is quickly approaching. You may have given some thought as to what types of gifts you would like to give to your loved ones, but this year HC encourages you to pay it forward. Here are some of the ways you can help those in need this holiday season:

Donate

Consider donating to a cause this Christmas. You can donate toys for children of all ages, food for families in need to feast on and even money to local charities.

Here are some links and more information on how and where you can donate.

Toy Drives

Food Drives

Drop off locations can typically be found at any grocery store. Perhaps next time you shop you could add a few non-perishable items to your cart and drop them off in the donation box on your way out the door. You can also leave donations at the Food Bank of Waterloo Region during office hours.

Money Donations

If you do not have the time to shop or prefer to donate money instead, you can still donate to local food drives.

If you would rather donate to a foundation or charity here are some local opportunities.

You can donate any amount once or monthly to the area of your choice or you can select it to go to the greatest need.

Volunteer

If you can not afford to donate this year, do not worry! There are still plenty of ways you can help give back to your community.

Participate in food sorting or help out with local Christmas hampers by preparing them behind the scenes, or be one of the people on the frontlines delivering hampers to homes of those in need. If these are not of interest to you, look for other volunteering opportunities on the KW Volunteer Action Centre website.

Volunteer your time to any of these causes and help ensure that those less fortunate can enjoy the holiday season just as much as you and your loved ones.

Third year Global Business and Digital Arts Student at UW! Dog Lover. Wine Enthusiast. Designer. 
Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros