UW Sindhi Club President: Urooj Advani

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.
1. What is the UW Sindhi club about and why was it started? UW Sindhi Club is about awareness for a language that is on the verge of extinction and to also connect Sindhi students that are scattered within the variety of faculties on campus.

2. How did you get involved? I wanted to start this club in Winter 2014 as I got the idea from volunteering at events for SANA (Sindhi Association of North America). With alternating terms of co-op and academics I finally managed to get a small group of Sindhis together who shared my enthusiasm for the club and started the club a year later.

3. What accomplishments have you achieved this year being the club president? I have managed to connect about 12 Sindhis with each other and counting. I also choreographed my first choreography of Sindhi folk dance to a couple songs and presented the dance at SANA and at the Cultural Caravan held by FEDS on campus. I have put together a promotional video where the youth of the Sindhi community talk about the importance of Sindhi language (it is in Sindhi for now to promote youth to speak the language and can be found here!)

4. What are you hoping members get out of joining your club? Members can learn the Sindhi culture which is rich with stories/literature/poetry, the delicious food, the Sindhi fashion, and the history. Event planning, meeting a diverse range of people (in terms of ethnicity and also academics), and setting traditions are also things members can expect from UW Sindhis.

5.  What is your favourite part about being a UW student? I love the co-op program! The amount of amazing personalities I have met at work and in school (because of the off stream situation, I have made friends from many different ranges) is phenomenal. 
6. What other passions do you have? I take great pride in community work, meeting with people from all kinds of socio-economic backgrounds and listening to their stories and offering my help when needed. I also have a passion of trying new things ranging sports activities to different foods.

7. How will the Sindhi club help you achieve your goals for the future? Sindhi club will allow me to continue meeting new Sindhis and Sindhi enthusiasts. Along with their personalities, there will be many stories and experiences to share and if there is ever a need to help, I will have a perfect chance to give back to the Sindhi community here on campus. 

8. Who is the Sindhi’s club target audience? Everyone who wants to learn about a culture or a language is our audience. From arts students wanting to see how the ajrak pattern came into being, to history professors who may choose to learn who took over the Indus Valley Civilization hundreds of years ago, to the International students who have left Sindhi family back home and just want a chance to drink thadal when they are homesick; we cater to all.

9. Any advice you’d give to future club presidents/leaders? In order for a new club to succeed, resources and ideas are needed so be open minded and try new suggestions.

10. What’s your favourite part about being president? I love bringing food for the team when they least expect it. It puts the biggest smiles on their beautiful faces and obviously the motivation level sky rockets!!

For more info contact: uwsindhi@gmail.com

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!