A UW Guide to Getting Involved in Research on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Guide to getting involved in research on campus:

Fall term is just getting started, and it may not be too late for you to get involved in a research lab on campus. Alternatively, you can use these tips to help prepare you once you’re ready to start getting involved.

1. Self-evaluate.

Do you have time? Do you have any prior commitments? Ask yourself these questions before you even begin, because it is a time-consuming process and you don’t want to rush it and damper your experience.

2. Read.

Read up on what the professors in your department are researching by going online. If you want to be “extra”, check out an appropriate research database (through the UW Library) and search by author to see what the prof has recently published. This can help give you a better sense of what they’re currently researching.

3. Update your CV.

As Waterloo students (and especially those in co-op), we tailor our resume towards our relevant work experience, and while that’s important, it’s also important to have your CV updated with any relevant academic accomplishments. Refrain from listing your grades, this is why you have a transcript. Your CV should capture the whole you, and it isn’t just limited to 1-2 pages.

4. Reach out!

Once you feel like you’re ready to start contacting potential matches for who you’d want to research with, send them an email. If they don’t reply within a week or so, don’t be afraid to follow up. Depending on the time of year, it could just be really busy and your email may have slipped through. 

5. Be persistent.

If you really want lab experience, contact as many possible people as you can (but not all at once, space them out). Eventually you’ll hear back from someone, and hopefully everything will all work out!

Good luck all my fellow research-loving Warriors!! You’ve got this! 

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!