Life > Academics

Unwind This Reading Week With These 8 Helpful Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Winter term can be stressful, and as midterms start to pile up even the prescribed “reading week” in late February can become packed with to-do lists and chores – anything but relaxing! 

If you’re hoping to take some serious time to yourself this upcoming break, I highly recommend using one (or more!) of the following tips to ensure maximum peace of mind. 

Note: Some of these tips may sound like chores, but I promise getting them out of the way will help you feel all the more settled during the winter reading week!

1. Book that thing you keep putting off 

Listen, I’m a master procrastinator when it comes to getting appointments scheduled. If you’re anything like me, do yourself a favour and book that doctor, dentist, hair appointment – whatever it is that’s been in the back of your mind – during the reading week! One less thing to think about. 

1. Organize your room/desk/space

I know this sounds like a chore, but cleaning off my desk (even just wiping the dust away) makes me feel 10x better. Give your workspace some rejuvenation, and you’re more likely to come back and study hard!

1. Roll out your muscles

If you have a roller, great, if not, then use a tennis ball! It may feel silly, but it’s always good to stretch out, even if you’re not exercising regularly. Our joints carry so much tension, so help relieve your body with some good old fashioned rolling. 

1. Swap a favourite book with a friend

When was the last time you read for pleasure? Spend some down time curling up with a good book! To make it more fun, swap favourite novels with a friend! You’ll surely have lots to chat about the next time you meet. 

1. Watch your favourite comedy movie/TV show

Laughing strengthens your immune system, boosts your mood, and helps protect you against the damaging effects of stress! Pop on your favourite go-to comedy and unwind with some giggles.

1. Journal/write down your worries

I always find it helpful to have perspective when coping with stress. So, if you’re feeling overwhelmed, try writing about what’s worrying you. Seeing it written out may help you develop a better approach.

1. Take a tech break

We spend so much time on our phones and laptops everyday! Try to give yourself a break from the blue light, and find other ways to relax. 

1. Do an at-home facial

There are hundreds of DIY facial recipes out there! Give one a try, and treat yourself to an at-home spa day! It’ll help rejuvenate you for the second half of the term. 

However you choose to spend your reading week, I hope that you’re able to find time to rest and recover from life’s general craziness. Studying is important, but make sure to take care of yourself too! You deserve it. 

Happy relaxing!

Emma Johnston

Waterloo '22

Hi! My name is Emma, and I am completing my Bachelor of Arts in English Rhetoric, Media and Professional Communication at the University of Waterloo. I love journaling, peanut M&Ms, and collecting fashion magazines from around the world!