This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

First year can be a confusing and stressful period of time, no matter what school you’re going to. The University of Waterloo, while an amazing school, isn’t exempt from the inevitable stress first year can bring. Here are a few things you should know before starting school, that will hopefully make the transition easier!

Your Watcard is your best friend

Honestly, it really is. Not only is your Watcard your student ID, but it’s also your bus pass, a way to buy food on and off campus, a way to access building, a points card and much more. Moral of the story: don’t underestimate it.

The Student Life Center (SLC) will save you

Not only is the SLC one of the busiest spots on campus, but it’s also one that makes student life so much easier. From discounted movie tickets, to $1 ice cream, the SLC is full of secret hacks for us Warriors.

Be prepared for constant construction

There is always something new being built. Trust me, you’ll get really good at finding detours to get where you need to go both on and off campus.

There’s life outside campus

Make sure you actually venture outside campus! Going to the same place every day can get exhausting. There are so many other places to hangout Uptown Waterloo and off campus.

You’ll get lost on campus at least once a day

It could be on your way to class, or when you’re trying to find the bathroom. Or more likely, it’ll be when you’re trying to find a shortcut and cut through some of the many buildings and tunnels on campus. Don’t worry – it happens to all of us!

Never buy new textbooks

Textbooks are expensive. Make sure you go to the used bookstore first or even see if anyone is selling what you need online on Waterloo Facebook groups. It’s a guaranteed way to save some money.

WaterlooWorks will stress you out

If you’re not in co-op, don’t worry, you won’t have to spend the time learning this site. However, if you are in co-op, be prepared for the initial frustration and confusion. It gets better, I swear.

Campus actually has support resources

This is something I wish I’d known a lot sooner. Campus is full of different services and clubs geared specifically towards helping students succeed. From Counselling Services, to tutoring, to the GLOW center, you’ll find a place to help you through your years at school.

Refund some of those fees

Every term, you get charged some incidental fees and you may not even realize it. Don’t worry, there are a few incidental fees that you can get refunded back to you and save some money!

You’ll make it through!

The next couple of months can get really difficult, but you’ll get through this. Make friends, have fun and try new things! These next few years are going to be some of your most memorable ones, so don’t just throw them away.

Photo Sources: Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5, Photo 6, Photo 7, Photo 8, Photo 9, Photo 10

Mihan Davar

Waterloo '19

Mihan is an Arts and Business co-op student majoring in English Literature and Rhetoric. 
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!