Types of St Patrick’s Day Party Girls Throughout History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

How did St Patrick’s Day come to be? Let’s find out by reviewing the different types of St. Patrick’s Day Party Girls throughout history…

10th Century Party Girl – The Feaster

Since around the 9th or 10th century, people in Ireland have been observing the Roman Catholic feast day of St. Patrick on March 17. On St. Patrick’s Day, which falls during the Christian season of Lent, Irish families would traditionally attend church in the morning and celebrate in the afternoon. Lenten prohibitions against the consumption of meat were waived and people would dance, drink and feast–on the traditional meal of corned beef and cabbage.

18th Century Party Girl – The Patriot

The first parade held to honor St. Patrick’s Day took place not in Ireland but in the United States. On March 17, 1762, Irish soldiers serving in the English military marched through New York City. Along with their music, the parade helped the soldiers reconnect with their Irish roots, as well as with fellow Irishmen serving in the English army.

The American Irish soon realized that their large and growing numbers endowed them with a political power that had yet to be exploited. They started to organize, and their voting block, known as the “green machine,” became an important swing vote for political hopefuls. Suddenly, annual St. Patrick’s Day parades became a show of strength for Irish Americans, as well as a must-attend event for a slew of political candidates.

20th Century Party Girl – The Over Decorator

As Irish immigrants spread out over the United States, other cities developed their own traditions. One of these is Chicago’s annual dyeing of the Chicago River green. The tradition has been going strong for over five decades. Using a speedboat, a harmless vegetable dye is added into the river to get the perfect St. Paddy’s Day shade. The colour lasts about 12 hours before it fades away.

21st Century Party Girl – The Modern Day Partier

Today, approximately 1 million people annually take part in Ireland’s St. Patrick’s Festival in Dublin and around the world through multi-day, green-themed celebrations featuring parades, concerts, outdoor parties and fireworks shows!

If you had a time machine…what century would you choose celebrate the Irish?

Here’s to a safe and celebratory St. Patrick’s Day!

Sources: Cover Photo 

My name is Rachel Hickey,  I'm studying Psychology, Human Resource Management, and English! My interests include food, fitness, feminism, singing in obnoxious a cappella groups and petting other people's dogs.
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!