Top 5 Thanksgiving Movies/TV Specials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Thanksgiving is the classic tale of going home for the holidays – about going home and being with the family. Sometimes, for me especially, whenever I go home I tend to watch some of my favourite flicks. Over the Thanksgiving long weekend, TV providers will probably be playing some of the classic Thanksgiving movies/TV specials, but since most of us only watch TV or movies on Netflix, most of my suggestions will be available there. The realization I had while coming up with this list is there actually aren’t many movies that revolve around Thanksgiving. Most of them only include one scene of the family having Thanksgiving dinner together. That being said, there are tons of TV Thanksgiving specials! That is why I have split my Thanksgiving movie list with Thanksgiving TV specials. There are tons of TV specials, but the ones below are just the ones that I like the most. Let me assure you, if you want to spend all weekend watching TV show Thanksgiving specials there’s an entire Wikipedia list out there for you!

Every time I thought I remembered another Thanksgiving movie, it actually turned out to be yet another Christmas movie Don’t get me wrong, I love a good, classic Christmas movie, but when does Thanksgiving get its turn to be the show stopper? It’s a nice topic: coming home and celebrating a lovely dinner with your family and friends; thinking about all of the things you are grateful for. I guess most people get bored with the idea of everything being perfect for one night. The reality is, we like to see things go wrong and see people struggle because in reality things don’t usually go the way we plan. It doesn’t matter because as we see in all the TV specials, it’s not about the dinner itself, but the people who are around the table.

Plus, once it’s Thanksgiving weekend, people want it to be Christmas already. It’s like there’s no special time just for Thanksgiving because it’s surrounded by all these other holidays. I say let’s give Thanksgiving a chance!

Below is a list of my top 5 Thanksgiving movies/TV show specials:

1. A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving – 1973 TV Film

If you want something short and sweet with all of the classic Thanksgiving tales, this is the movie for you and your family. Especially if you have a lot of kids in the family. It is also only 25 minutes long!

2. Planes, Trains and Automobiles – 1987 Film

If you are a fan of Steve Martin and John Candy, this is definitely a flick you MUST see! Doesn’t even have to be Thanksgiving to watch this classic comedy. If you are in the mood for a comedy and the classic comedic tale of everything going wrong, this is the flick for you this Thanksgiving. Also if you enjoy movies with a road trip this is the full package.  

3. Friends – season 1 episode 9

If you and your friends decide to make your own Thanksgiving this year, this is the show to play in the background. Everything that happens in this Friends episode will happen to you this Thanksgiving. For example, since your friends aren’t with their family this Thanksgiving, that means they will want their mom’s classic Thanksgiving potatoes, so be prepared to make three kinds of potatoes!

4. Friends – season 3 episode 9

Watch this if you want something to remind you of your constant sibling rivalry, which is re-established every Thanksgiving during your family’s traditional Thanksgiving football game.

5. Gilmore Girls – season 3 episode 9

If you are THAT person who is invited to 4 Thanksgiving dinners and actually tries to make an appearance to all 4 of them. (Also side note: Gilmore Girls is coming back this November!!!) Let’s hope that a Thanksgiving dinner is in our midst. #soexcited

P.S.

If anyone has a specific movie or TV special that deals with thanksgiving that is their favourite, please comment below!

I am a total movie/TV show fanatic, lover of all things handmade (I paint watercolour cards in my spare time) and have an obsession with sweets. Studying Global Business and Digital Arts
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!