Thoughts All UW Students Have When Lost On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Waterloo isn’t considered a large school, but it’s not small by any means. You’re going to get lost at some point in your time here, especially if you’re directionally challenged, and this is exactly how it will happen.

You walk through the halls, unaware of the ‘adventure’ you’re about to go on.

We’ve all been there. You’re running late to class or a group meeting or you simply want to get out of the snow or rain. You decide to walk through the building you always walk around, hoping it will take less time to get across campus.

“I’ll cut through this building I’ve never been in before. Great idea!”

This is when you decide to find a bathroom in this building instead of one that you’re familiar with.

This is the reason you get lost! Maybe your parents were onto something when they asked if you needed to go before every outing.

“When you gotta go, you gotta go!”

When you start to doubt your navigation skills, but it’s no big deal because you have lots of time to get to where you need to be.

You walk a few halls through the building before realizing you don’t really know where you are. There’s a map on the wall though so it’s fine.

“Wait, what even is this building…? I’m on WHAT floor?”

After finding the bathroom, you realize you’re way too deep into this unfamiliar maze and that YOU ACTUALLY HAVE NO TIME.

You wonder how in the world you’re going to find a way out of this place. Checking the time on your phone does nothing to ease your worry, just so you know.

“I’m going to be SO late!”

This is when you start to REALLY doubt your navigation skills and IT IS A BIG DEAL.

Should it really be taking this long to get to the exit. Were you supposed to take a left or right at the second hallway? Why does everything look the same? ARE YOU GOING IN CIRCLES?

“I’ve definitely seen that bench with the torn seat cushion twice now!”

You decide to text your friend who’s waiting for you in SLC, but you get no response:

THE BETRAYAL. Why aren’t they answering? You need help! What if you were hit by a bus or being attacked by geese! This is an emergency and they completely ignored you.

“I’m burning our friendship bracelet when I get out of here.”

Acceptance that you’ll be stuck in this building forever is starting to set in.

This is your home now. The classroom you keep mistaking for an exit looks like it has decently comfortable seats and you’re almost 40% sure you can find the bathroom again. You’re not sure what you’re going to do about meals yet, but you’ll figure it out!

“This must be why some people carry around a toiletry bag.”

Thankfully, you finally find an exit, but you’re so disoriented you can’t even tell if you’re still in North America:  

Is that…an exit sign? It is! You made….it. Where are you? What part of campus is this? So many unanswered questions have been asked and you’re STILL. LOST.

“I guess I’ll just walk this way?”

“Where were you?”

The adventure doesn’t end until all your friends hear about what happened and tease you about it. They’ll never let you ride shotgun again either because “you’re the last person they want as navigator”. Whatever.

“Let me live my life in peace, PLEASE!”

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!