andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ten Reasons To Volunteer Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

This past summer I spent 5 weeks in South Africa volunteering. It was the best decision I ever made. Here are 10 reasons why YOU should look into volunteering abroad:

1. It looks great on a resume.

Everyone has summer job experience, but how many people can say they lived across oceans for their job? You can differentiate yourself from the rest of the applicants by using the many life skills you have learned to get you further in your industry of choice.

2. You get to meet people from all over the world.

Nothing like having free room and board in the Bahamas or Britain right?

3. Supports great causes.

Because sharing is caring!

4. Amazing adventures!

Everyone should experience the thrill of being outside your comfort zone! It opens you up to experiences you’d have never considered otherwise; which may just end up being some of your life’s greatest moments!

5. Gain perspective of people and the world.

Food, lifestyles, cultures, fashion…. Every interaction you have and every person you meet teaches you a little something about his or her way of life and the diversity of the world we live in.

6. Learning experience.

Some things cannot be taught in a lecture hall. Those are the things you learn when you’re playing tag with kids in an orphanage in Africa or while watching turtle hatchlings scuttle toward the ocean.

7. Escape reality.

Sometimes we all need an escape. Flip on airplane mode and just enjoy the experience! We will all still be here when you get back.

8. Great start point for further travel.

If you don’t have any travel experience, volunteering is a great way to just let your host organization make arrangements so you can learn the ins and outs of travel and be prepared for your next big adventure!

9. You never know what connections you will make.

You never know who you’ll meet. Maybe someday it will lead you to a job, or a relationship. You won’t know until you go…

10. You’re only young once!

So get out there and live! I promise it’ll be the best decision you’ve ever made.  :)

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!