This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

As someone who recently left her teenage years behind, I decided this weekend to look back on my childhood with, of course, a movie marathon. So to get the nostalgia juices flowing I have compiled a list of my top ten favourite Pixar movies. Since Toy Story (1995), Pixar has gifted us with 20 feature films which have managed to wrench our heartstrings as an adult and bring us joy as a kid. So, without further ado, my top ten picks are:

10. Toy Story (1995)

As the debut film of Pixar, this movie captured what we all imagined as a child, that our toys came to life when we weren’t looking. Personally, I was scared to get any new toys that would make my other toys jealous! It introduced us to Woody and Buzz Lightyear, some of the most iconic characters in movie history. Not only that, but this movie came with a great message of acceptance and the adverse effects of jealousy, a message that still lasts today.

9. Monsters University (2013)

After waiting 12 years for this prequel to Monsters, Inc., this movie did not disappoint. Transporting us back into the monster world, we followed Mike and Sully’s adventures. One of the most interesting aspects of this movie was that the focus was mainly on Mike, who, as an unconventionally not scary monster, used his brains to scare children instead. With a few Easter eggs to the original movie, it was thoroughly enjoyable to watch an underdog story combined with an origins story. With the slight twist ending (spoilers ahead), it was amazing to discover that Sully and Mike had actually worked their way up the ranks in Monsters, Incorporated, enhancing the effect of the original movie.

8. WALL-E (2008)

The first time I saw this movie, I immediately fell in love with this trash cleaning robot and his cockroach friend. I still believe that the love story between WALL-E and EVE is the best one ever (fight me). Not only does this have the cutest robot romance ever, but also it leaves the audience with a great environmental message of getting your act together and stop global warming before it is too late. I’m still looking for someone to build me a mini, functional WALL-E, so engineers, get on it!

7. Ratatouille (2007)

One would think mixing rats and food would be pretty disgusting but this movie manages to make it work. A quirky premise that a rat wants to become a master chef sparks an adventure through Paris that brings to life cooking and a Parisian atmosphere. Although you have to suspend disbelief for the hair-pulling-causes-motion mechanic, it presents such a compelling story that I was almost persuaded to allow rats into the kitchen… Almost…

6. Cars (2006)

I know that I’ve looked at a car more than once and thought it had a face. Given, I may have been severely sleep-deprived, but it happened. This movie, of course, brought that to life. With an engaging plot covering the redemption arc of Lightning McQueen from an obnoxious jerk to a kind guy, it highlighted how keeping humble in success is very important. I always dreamed of being a racecar driver, and this animated movie always managed to spur that dream on! Who knows? Maybe one day it still will happen.

5. Finding Nemo (2003)

Since this movie came out when I was four years old, I have carried it throughout my childhood. I’ve seen this movie so many times that I can probably recite it back to you. Even as an adult (barely), it is touching to see how a father would go to the end of the earth for his child. With the comedic relief of Dory, the amnesiac fish, (shout-out to the great sequel only about 15 years in the making), and the fish in the dentist’s tank, this movie was all-around pretty great! Even now I can still hear the seagulls, saying “MINE! MINE! MINE!”

4. Inside Out (2015)

I’m sure we have all at one point or the other though that people have been in our heads but this movie takes that quite literally. By giving our emotions literal embodiments inside our head, this movie managed to capture not only the trauma of moving and starting a new school (sound familiar, first years?) but also the transition of growing up and understanding that emotions are less simple than happy and sad. It left us with the message that we should let sadness take the wheel every once in a while, and that change is inevitable and we should embrace it. (However, if sadness takes the wheel all the time there are mental health resources available to you).

3. The Incredibles (2004)

Ah… We come to the movie that did Fantastic Four better than Fantastic Four did. But on a real note, this movie was probably one of the first superhero movies that I saw and it brought the superhero genre into my life. I had loved it so much! As a shy girl myself, I related so much to Violet and because of that this movie still entertains me so much to this day. It highlighted superheroes in such a human way that was different from the superhero shows of the time breathing fresh air into the genre. As typical of Pixar, this is also a wholesome family film where, when you strip away the superhero elements, you are left with the message of being together as a family.

2. Brave (2012)

Ever since I saw this movie, I wanted to be Meredith. As one of the strongest female movie leads, she resists the typical princess trope of arranged marriage and actually fights for her own hand. In this modern age of feminism, it presents a good role model for young girls, showing that they can be in charge of their destiny. Besides the powerful message, it is hilarious with the triplet younger brothers and the reactions of the mother to her bear form. Besides that, I love how Scottish folklore is intertwined within the tale, with the animation highlighting the beauty of the place.

1. Coco (2017)

As a movie about death, it is surprisingly lively. With bright colours and upbeat music, Coco is probably one of my favourite movies EVER. It tells such a compelling story that grasps you from the get-go. The plot twist is not terribly surprising but it does bring forward Pixar’s family theme. It captures Mexican culture so well that I wanted to go visit Mexico for this event. I even felt inspired to create a shrine to my ancestors so they won’t be condemned to the second death. Overall, it is my pick as the BEST Pixar movie.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Maehak Ramlogan

Waterloo '23

1A Math major. I like to sleep, read and do math problems. If you feed me, I'll be your friend forever.
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!