This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I don’t know about you but my favourite thing to do on Valentine’s Day is to cuddle up in a blanket with a huge tub of ice cream and watch the sappiest of films! But sometimes it’s hard to relate when most movies don’t showcase minorities. I wanna live vicariously through the corny, cheesy characters in romcoms too!

Crazy Rich Asians 

Asian representation is often sorely lacking in Hollywood movies so it was inevitable that Crazy Rich Asians would be a huge hit! Highlighting beautiful landmarks and authentic Asian cuisine, this movie takes you on a virtual trip to Singapore. Rachel, a Chinese-American, travels with her boyfriend Nick Young to meet his rich family for his best friend’s wedding and works towards being accepted by his mother. Full of gorgeous scenes and extremely attractive and witty characters, the story is both a cliché and the typical movie romcom fans die for!

The Perfection

If you’re looking for a heart-pumping romantic horror-thriller, The Perfection is perfect for you! Charlotte and Lizzie are cellists for a prestigious music academy. They hit it off immediately, but strange things seem to happen when they go on a trip together, with Lizzie falling under a mysterious illness. Blood, gore, and queer women-leads – the best way to chill with your gal pals on Valentine’s Day and spike your adrenaline! 

Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga

Bollywood movies are usually just desi or brown musicals! But Ek Ladki pulls a huge twist where Sweety is thought to be secretly dating her Muslim friend, who is in love with her, but when he expresses his love, she shares her true secret love! This heart-warming, heart-breakingly cute movie puts a spotlight on brown culture, indoctrination and embracing the people we love despite how different we may all be.

Queen

A fun comedy-drama to lighten the mood is Queen, a film about a woman whose fiancé dumps her a few days before the wedding. Heart-broken, she decides to go on her honeymoon by herself! Full of comical, whimsy moments, this film shows a sheltered brown girl going out into the world on her own, meeting new unique people, having insane experiences and adventures, and learning that people are not as they seem! Not your typical love story – but a tale about loving and respecting yourself and understanding how much you are worth and deserve. 

Someone Great

Another chick-flick about getting over a break-up is Someone Great, a tragic-romantic comedy. Someone Great narrates the experiences three best friends, two of which are minorities, share about their love lives – demonstrating love, growth, loss and acceptance. Jenny deals with moving to a new place and not being able to have her best friends with her, which causes her serious boyfriend of several years to leave her. Blair struggles with her relationship with her boyfriend and feeling or being intimate with him. And Erin copes with her sexuality and professing her love for the woman she is seeing. An unexpected ending and a crushing story about friendship – be sure to grab some tissues if you’re ready for a good cry!  

Mr Nobody

If you love deep intellectual science films with dramatic twists and confusing turns, this mind blowing compilation of romantic pathways is the choice for you! The deeper meaning behind the movie is clear as you draw close to the end and all the stories come together to form the bigger picture! A long baffling muddle that keeps you on the edge of your seat, Mr Nobody is a beautiful show about love, lack thereof and soulmates!

Whatever you choose to do for Valentine’s Day, may it be full of love, laughs and lots of sweets and treats!

Aniqah Beharry is a fourth-year Honours Math student at the University of Waterloo. Aniqah is a feminist Muslim poet from Trinidad and Tobago, who loves to read, write, and dabbles in art - painting and drawing. She is a national archer and named her recurve bow as Snowflake. In her free time, she binges Grey's Anatomy, Black Mirror, Bojack Horseman and New Girl. IG: @AniqahBe
My name is Rachel Hickey,  I'm studying Psychology, Human Resource Management, and English! My interests include food, fitness, feminism, singing in obnoxious a cappella groups and petting other people's dogs.