Life > Academics

Relax this Reading Week: Tips for winding down and enjoying yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

For some of you, this may be your very first reading week; whereas for others, it may be your third, fourth, or even fifth. But no matter what year you’re in, it’s common to struggle with winding down on reading week — I know I do. I always want to get ahead, so I spend most of my reading week working on upcoming assignments. While that’s a great way to make sure I don’t fall behind, it sort of misses the point of what reading week is really for.

Reading week was implemented at many universities so that students could have a break from school, relax, and focus on their mental health. For some, this means getting ahead. And while this can be a great way to spend some of your reading week, it’s also important to relax and take some time for yourself. So, here are some tips to help you get the most out of your reading week this term!

If you want to incorporate schoolwork into reading week, there are two ways to balance your time: you can do all your schoolwork in one day at the beginning of the week so that you have the rest of the week to do whatever you want; or you can work a little bit each day and fill the rest of the day with anything you’d like!

1. Explore your area with a walk

For me, especially during the fall reading week, I love going on walks. It’s so pretty outside with the leaves changing, and I love the cool air! This is also a great way to take breaks from studying, and it can actually help you focus even more afterwards, since you gave your brain a break. 

1. Spend time with your friends and family

I also love seeing friends or family during reading week; sometimes I go home and sometimes I spend reading week at school, but either way, taking some time to socialize is a must! Obviously, don’t drain your social battery, but use this time to catch up with old friends or family. In my case, I know my mom always wants me to come home so she can make me a few of her signature meals!

1. Start a new book or TV show

Finally, reading week is the perfect time to catch up on any books you haven’t finished or are currently reading (my current read is A Good Girl’s Guide To Murder). It’s also a great opportunity to binge-watch a TV show (my fall pick is always Gilmore Girls). Maybe you can also take an art class or go to a concert, but whatever it is that you love to do, make sure you take some time this week to relax and enjoy your time off!

Hey! I'm a third-year honours arts student at the University of Waterloo! I major in English with a Digital Arts Communication minor and a tech writing specialization! Oh, and I also write for HC Waterloo! I'm an avid reader (go Gryffindor), obsessed with friends and gilmore girls, and a plant connoisseur!