Reasons To Love Country Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I grew up in a small town where everybody drives trucks and listens to country music – very stereotypical of me, I know. I spent my childhood listening to artists like Garth Brooks and Shania Twain (she is amazing in concert BTW) and while I’ve always enjoyed other genres as well, country music has always held a special place in my heart. Here are some reasons why would should love it too, or at the very least give it a chance:

1. It’s relatable.

Every country song tells a story. Almost everything you are going through, someone else has already gone through it too and wrote a country song about it. So, whether you’re feeling down and blue or on top of the world, there will always be a song that will explain exactly how you are feeling in that moment.

2. It comes from the heart.

Country music artists are amazing at telling love stories. It’s comforting to know that it comes from a place deep in their heart, and provides hope for anyone who might be going through heartbreak that their “one” is out there somewhere. My favourite country love story is about Thomas Rhett and his wife, Laura Akins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2CELiObPeQ

3. I mean… the cowboys, like come on.

Holy smokes, has country music ever been blessed with some major eye candy. From Brad Paisley to Josh Turner, and all the way in between, country music is lucky to have these incredibly attractive and talented men.

4. Country artists have the best live shows.

I have never gone to a country concert and not had an amazing time. The best part is that you need to have some serious talent in this business and country is known for it’s strong voices and instrumentals. This means you don’t have the disappointment of going to a concert and hearing an artist sound totally different without autotune, because they generally sound the same or similar in person. Also, it’s pretty well known that country artists LOVE their fans!

If you need to see it to believe it yourself here is a list of local concerts happening over the next 6 months:

Dixie Chicks: DCX World Tour MMXVII – Hamilton, ON – 04/17/17

Dean Brody’s Beautiful Freakshow Tour – Kitchener, ON – 04/30/17

Florida Georgia Line: Dig Your Roots Tour – Hamilton, ON – 05/03/17

Sam Hunt: 15 in a 30 Tour – Toronto, ON – 06/15/17

OR if you would rather see a bunch of artists in the same day, check out these upcoming festivals:

Trackside Music Festival – London, ON – 07/01/17

Boots & Hearts – Oro-Medonte, ON – 07/ 10/ 17

Havelock Jamboree – Havelock, ON – 07/17/17

These are just a few of the many reasons why you should love country. If you are someone that is “totally against” it but have managed to make it to the end this article… come on, don’t kid yourself. I urge everyone to give country music a try!

Third year Global Business and Digital Arts Student at UW! Dog Lover. Wine Enthusiast. Designer. 
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets