The President of the Science Society: Vaishnavy Gupta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Profile! Vaishnavy Gupta is the President of the Science Society!

What program and year are you currently in?

4A Honours Science.

When did you join/ become President of the Science Society?

I joined the Science Society as an Administrative Coordinator in the spring term of 2015. After this, I worked as an Events Coordinator for a year, and became President in Spring 2016.

What is your favourite part about being involved with the Science Society?

The best part about being on this team is the sense of family that develops over the term amongst the coordinators and executives. I have been extremely blessed with an amazing team who has supported me with every decision I have made. Also, it has been extremely rewarding to see all of our ideas come together successfully.

As the President of the Science Society, what advice would you give to a student looking to take on a leadership role?

It’s really important to take the first step – nobody starts at the top. Go to that first group meeting, make an effort to reach out to current leaders, and don’t forget to remind yourself it’s okay to make mistakes.

You were previously the President of UW World Vision, how did you become involved with that club?

I became involved with UW World Vision after I had written an article on the club as a volunteer writer for Imprint.

What inspired you to join the club?

After engaging with the President of the club for a short amount of time, I realized how much work the club does that originates with my own values. I ended up applying to be a Youth Ambassador for the national World Vision, and after getting this position I became heavily involved with the UW chapter of the charity.  

What events does UW World Vision host that students on campus should look for?

The club isn’t currently running, however in the past, events such as charity bake sales, raffles, themed photo booths and the annual 30 Hour Famine have been held. The best way to learn about the organization itself is to send a message to the national World Vision Organization, they are very eager to spread their message to youth. As for the UW chapter, any questions can be directed to the Facebook page, which is still running.

When you’re not busy with schoolwork and clubs, what do you do for fun (i.e. what are your interests) ?

Cooking is one of my favourite things to do on a day off or after a long day. It’s difficult to have home cooked meals as a busy student, so I’m always looking for new and quick ways to make meals. I also really enjoy watching TV shows whenever I have time, and cooking shows are a big guilty pleasure of mine. Other than that, I love spending time with the people in my life as often as I can.

What’s your motto?

Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.

How can someone get involved with both the UW World Vision and the Science Society?

Although UW World Vision isn’t currently running, there are a lot of opportunities to be an Ambassador with the organization itself. Science Society hires new coordinators every term and they are always looking for volunteers to run the Science Coffee and Donut Shop.

Wondering where to reach the organizations/ clubs mentioned throughout this article? Look no further:

Like the Science Society’s Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/UWScienceSociety/ Like UW World Vision’s Club’s Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/uwworldvision/ Learn more about World Vision on their website: http://www.worldvision.ca/getinvolved/Volunteer/Pages/default.aspx

Third year Global Business and Digital Arts Student at UW! Dog Lover. Wine Enthusiast. Designer. 
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets