Places to Explore in Southern Ontario this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Whether you`re in Waterloo, Toronto area, or your hometown this summer, you may want to plan a road trip to some of these Southern Ontario places!

1. Grand Bend

Grand Bend is a cute little beach town on Lake Huron in the Lambton Shores area. It has cottages you can rent out with your friends and a cute strip full of; shops, delicious and affordable restaurants, water-activity rentals, and even some night life action. Its a great weekend getaway and not too far from the Waterloo region.

2. Paris (Ontario)

Paris is located less than an hour away from Waterloo, its a perfect daytime destination. Its sometimes referred to as the `Cobblestone Capital of Canada` known for its beautiful historic buildings. Great spot to take photos, shop, or eat. It also has cute summer festivals like the Paris Streetfest on July 8th. If you can`t head to Paris, France this year take a trip to Paris, Ontario! 

3. Hamilton Waterfalls

Hamilton is known as the `City of Waterfalls.` For those of you that like hiking and outdoor adventures, you`ll definitely want to check out the multiple different waterfalls here over the summer. Only an hour or so away from Waterloo, it is another great daytime destination. Be sure to check out the Hamilton Waterfalls website for pictures, information, and a map of all of them in the city. The first image is of Tew`s Falls and the second is Websters Falls.

4. Scarborough Bluffs

Scarborough Bluffs or `The Bluffs` are an escarpment in the Scarborough district of Toronto. This is another great spot for outdoorsy adventurous people. Make sure to bring a waterbottle and your camera along, as the hike to the top is long but more than worth it!

5. Stratford

Stratford is located just under an hour away from Waterloo. It is home to the UW GBDA building, Rheo Thompson, and the well known Stratford festival. It makes for a cute weekend getaway for you and your BFF or significant other. The unique shops and restaurants are well worth the drive (my favourite is the Small-Mart General Mercantile store). Be sure to take a walk along the river and check out what performances are being put on in the theatre. Plus, if you`re taking classes in Spring term you can always go for the weekend and spend some time studying in the modern GBDA building.

6. Royal Botanical Gardens

The Royal Botanical Gardens are located in Burlington Ontario, just under an hour away from Waterloo. If you`re planning a daytrip here, think about bringing your significant other or talented photography friends. The intricate gardens will make you awe at their beauty, and you can further enjoy the sites in the delicious cafes located on the grounds. Check out their website for more details.

7. Bruce Peninsula National Park

Last one on the list is located in Tobermory and it is the farthest from Waterloo. It is a great weekend (or longer) place to visit; full of hiking trails, swimming (the Grotto!), and of course camping. Get your squad together and make a trip up here for an unforgettable weekend. Plus, it forces you to take a `digital detox`! 

Ontario is a beautiful province and offers many fun and pretty towns. Be sure to look up more recommended Ontario destinations to explore over the summer. Happy road-tripping Warriors!!

Picture Credits:

Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4, Image 5, Image 6, Image 7, Image 8, Image 9, Image 10, Image 11

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!