Pack Your Bags We Are Going On a Reading Week Road Trip!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

I blinked and half the semester is now over, though I’m definitely not mad about it. With Reading Week just around the corner, I’m now scrambling to put together the ultimate road trip with my besties. 

We are headed to Nashville, TN for a few days and I could not be more excited to incorporate ‘yee haw’ and ‘y’all’ (even more so) into my vocabulary. 

If you are seriously regretting your decision to stick around Waterloo for the break and want a last minute vacay, here are a few dos and don’ts to a university road trip! 

Person Pointing at Black and Gray Film Camera Near Macbook Pro
Photo by Element5 Digital from Pexels

DO make a shared music playlist!

Everyone can add their own songs and we can all listen as we go. We are separated into two cars but that won’t stop us from singing Dan + Shay the whole way. 

DO NOT fall asleep!

Someone must always be awake, other than the driver obviously! 

I think this is just a well-known rule of the car. But whoever is sitting in the passenger seat should stay awake with the driver. It’s pretty rude to pile into your bestie’s Honda Civic and then crash the whole way while they are struggling to keep their eyes open at the wheel and, you know, not crash. 

The way to the cabin
Photo by averie woodard on Unsplash

DO pack an endless snack bag! 

This is key. Something about being stuck in a car with nothing to do makes me want to snack. Make enough sandwiches to feed the Duggar family and then maybe add a few more. It’s always better to have the ultimate snack bag then to have to settle for a stale donut from the gas station. 

DO bring a change of clothes!

I’ve learned this from countless road trips with my family to the South of the US – always pack a little backpack with a change of clothes and some toiletries. Why wait until you get to your final destination to feel clean and refreshed? Every time you stop for gas, food, or a bathroom break bring your bag in and touch up – you will feel so much better getting back in the car. 

DO NOT bring your homework in the car! 

First of all, nerd, don’t even bother. Second of all, why? Save the homework for late at night in the Airbnb or, you know, for the night before school starts again like all the other university students post-break. 

Concrete Road
Photo by Matt Hardy from Pexels

So it looks like you’re all ready, time to get going! Happy Reading Week Warriors – ditch the textbooks and grab the GPS (just make sure you read that right!) 

Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books. 
My name is Rachel Hickey,  I'm studying Psychology, Human Resource Management, and English! My interests include food, fitness, feminism, singing in obnoxious a cappella groups and petting other people's dogs.