OMG! What should I Pack?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

It’s that time again. You’ve got a big trip coming up and you cannot contain your excitement. What now? Figure out what to wear and make a list! When all your thoughts are occupied by your upcoming vacation it’s tough to make room for anything else. Packing in advance helps balance out that ‘excitement energy’ not to mention is productive and fun! Follow these four easy steps to have yourself destination ready!

1st Step: What Should I Wear?

Tropics or Alpine? Formal or Casual? Your destination will have a huge impact on what you pack (you won’t be bringing a bikini to Alaska – duh). Once you have picked a place the next step is finding somewhere to stay. Will it be in a hotel? A rental? A resort? Different types of ‘housing’ may require different types of attire. If you’re staying in a rental in the forest you may not want to pack a bunch of summer dresses. If you’re staying at a resort, you’ll want to bring lots of beach wear (don’t forget sunscreen) and one or two ‘fancier’ outfits. Make your wardrobe stretch by having a lot of mix and match pieces so you can go from daytime to nighttime activities with only a minor change. That goes for your footwear too. Travelling is not the time to bring out your inner Imelda Marcos! Trust me, your back will thank you with lighter luggage. Oh and let‟s not forget the “under garments”. Remember to try on all your clothes to ensure you have the right bra and panties to go with them. Going out for a formal dinner where other guests can see the print on your panties (or dare I say „commando‟) may send the wrong message. And finally, don’t forget the weather. Florida may be over 90 degrees in July however you will be caught by surprise if you plan for that weather in January. Check the weather sites to get a hint on what the weather will be like for the dates you are travelling. This will greatly affect what gets packed as well (hint: wearing white pants in Costa Rica during the rainy season spells trouble). Knowing your location is key to having a stress-free

2nd Step: Make the List

This step is my favourite. List making is an art – it is functional and practical but can also bepretty! The use of printed paper, gel pens or coloured pencils can turn any list into a masterpiece! Not to mention something you‟ll look forward to reading again and again. Why not use a sparkle pen to check things off? Lists should always start with –The  Basics for the Checked Bag:

• Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, deodorant etc.)

* PS – don‟t forget feminine products if there is even a slight chance it could be that time

• Costume jewelry
  • Proper footwear (comfy shoes for daytime exploring,
  • Heels for going out in the evenings)
  • Mix and match clothing & under garments

*PS – Weigh your bag to ensure you are within the weight restrictions

Next ensure to have a separate smaller list for your Carry-On Bag. This may seem trivial however you’ll be thankful if any delays happen to or from your destination. Your Carry-On should include:

• Passport, money & ID
  • Travel itinerary & Boarding Pass
  • Gum & Granola Bars or similar small snacks to eat
  • Change of clothes & walking shoes (airports are not the place to wear your 6‟heels)
  • Toiletries/make up for a quick freshen up* PS – be sure to check the Carry-On policies for your flight provider to ensure you know of any restrictions
  • Camera, Journal & Book or Electronic Entertainment Device
  • Sunscreen & Sunglasses
  • Hat & Umbrella
  • Valuable Jewelry (this should never be packed in your checked luggage)

3rd Step: Fit it in the Bag!

There are many different ways to pack a suitcase. The method I have found most successful is the Rolling Technique. The Rolling Technique is a simple effective way to fit a lot of items in your suitcase without the risk of wrinkling. Plus you can get a lot more into your case than if you fold the same amount of clothes. To perform the Rolling Technique simply „roll‟ up an item from its flat position. Example for a t-shirt: fold in the sleeves than roll it up from the bottom to the collar. Viola! When it is done is should look like a sausage. Once you’ve rolled up all your clothes you can squish them together and form layers (like cabbage rolls in a pan) – inserting shoes between pieces or layers. It is also a good idea to pack a few plastic bags. If something gets wet or soiled you’ll be able to separate from the rest of your clean items.

4th Step: The Day Has Come

The day has come, let the vacation begin! Remember you’ll need to be at the airport to check in several hours before the plane leaves therefore be sure to set your alarm and a backup on a wireless device to make sure you are not late. Once you have arrived and checked in you’ll be so glad you took the time to make your list as you’ll be able to relax in the lounge before you are whisked off to your destination!

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking! 
CC for Her Campus Waterloo