Girl In Porcelain Print Skirt In Feild 5
Photo by Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Career

New Experiences on a Small Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

If you go to university or college, you know the drill.  Every time a new semester rolls around, you pay your tuition.  Every month you pay your rent.  That’s even before mentioning groceries, phone bills, and other daily necessities.  (Sorry if this list gives you anxiety – we’re all in the same boat!) 

After all these expenses, we still want to go places and do things!  Despite our stretched budgets, there is so much we want to experience!  If you feel like you’re being tied down by your tight budget, I’m here to talk to you. Here is a list of ways that you can find new experiences on a small budget:

Go Somewhere New

How well do you know the city you’re studying in? There are plenty of ways to explore without breaking the bank. If you want a study break, take public transit to a new spot. Walk around, window shop, and scope out new places to eat or hang with friends! Bonus: the more you explore, the more likely you are to find the places with the best deals!

Check Out Books from the Library

I’m the person you see walking out of the library with a stack of books they can barely see over. I’m not kidding. Before you write this off as nerdy or outdated, let me clarify something.  I’m not talking about 19th century novels or books on plant biology. Those are great, but I read enough for my school courses!  I look for books on interior design, cooking, or minimalism, with colorful photos and short paragraphs. Books like these interest me enough that I’ll pick them up in my spare time and I’ll get some new ideas along the way!  

Go Outside

I repeat. Go outside! You might not have the time or resources to take a tropical vacation, but you can definitely get out of your dorm room! Look up hiking trails or paths. If you’re like me, and you don’t have easy transportation to any adventurous forests or mountains, here’s a tip.  I like to find older residential areas close to my school. These neighborhoods are usually quiet and have nice big trees – great places for a walk or run!  

Make Something Instead of Buying It

Did you know it is surprisingly easy to create your own room decor? Or your own storage solution? If you haven’t jumped on the DIY train yet, now is the time. DIYs allow you to be creative, they help you develop new skills, and best of all, they’re cheap!

Do More with People

Raise your hand if you’ve ever spent more than you intended while out with friends. That’s what I thought.  Going out to eat or see a movie with your besties is awesome, but the cost can really add up. To save your cash while seeing your friends, cook a new recipe together, try a DIY that interests everyone, or go to a free outdoor market or exhibit in your city! Quality time with both old and new friends is the ultimate experience on a budget!

I hope this gave you some ideas for new experiences and activities you can do for little or no cash!  Post-secondary education might be hard on bank accounts, but that doesn’t mean your life can’t be jam-packed with new ideas and new adventures!

Alex Veenstra

Waterloo '24

Hi friends! I'm a Business and English student in my third year at UWaterloo. My passions include drinking tea, finding awesome thrifted clothes, and getting connected around campus!
My name is Rachel Hickey,  I'm studying Psychology, Human Resource Management, and English! My interests include food, fitness, feminism, singing in obnoxious a cappella groups and petting other people's dogs.