My ‘Soundtrack Of My Life’ Explained

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

The whole idea of a “soundtrack of my life” playlist is to gather up your favourite songs from all different genres, different time periods, and those with different personal meanings into one collection. Basically, if you met someone for the first time and they listened to your soundtrack they would get a glimpse into the kind of person you are. Not really sure what someone would say about me but I’m guessing they would think I’m in my mid 50’s. Good guess though. 

You know the saying ‘It’s written in the stars’… well I think it is also written, or rather sung, in the music too. Someone’s music taste can really show how they are feeling and what’s on their mind. With Fall just around the corner, why not freshen up your playlist with a few of my favourites! 

Disclaimer: There is no order to this list. Picking 12 songs was painful enough, why would I want to rank them?

Dancing in the Moonlight – Toploader 

(^The romance, the drama, the melody – what more could you want?)

The King’s did it first, Toploader did it next. Pick your poison. 

This is my mom and I’s favourite song. She was baffled when I didn’t realize it was a cover but whatever, I’m a teen, we don’t know these things. She also doesn’t know how to operate Spotify (our means of listening to this jam) so we are even. 

I remember thinking that this would be the perfect song to make a montage of a Prom video to, don’t you agree? It’s such a feel-good song. 

Summer of ‘69 – Bryan Adams 

Was I alive in the Summer of ‘69? No. Do I love this song? Yes. 

Turning Page – Sleeping At Last 

(^Like come on LOOK at that dress!) 

Ever watched Twilight? Ever been jealous of a backyard forest wedding between two fictional characters, one of which is a vampire? Don’t lie. 

I was, and still am, a huge Twilight fan. I mean I don’t advertise this but I have been known to binge-watch all 5 movies in one night. Not bragging or anything!

With or Without You – U2 

I give complete credit to my parents for this one, and really for the majority of this list. They were, and still are, huge U2 fans. They definitely left us for a sleepover at Oma and Opa’s once so they could slip away for a concert in Toronto. I don’t blame them though – I would pay almost anything to hear them play this song live. 

Mr. Brightside – The Killers 

Pretend you don’t know all the lyrics, I dare you. 

Vienna – Billy Joel 

I couldn’t leave my guy Billy out. 

Vienna, Austria is on my travel bucket list and if you think I won’t blast this song the whole way there, while I’m there, and on my way home then you, my friend, are WRONG!

Lose It – SWMRS 

I honestly have no idea how I discovered this song. But, everyone I have shown it to (and by everyone I mean my sister Alex) loves it. 

Rollercoaster – Bleachers 

(^This is what the kids call “Squad Goals”!) 

Did I cry on the plane home from my trip to Italy watching ‘Love, Simon’ – obviously. All around a great movie with an even better soundtrack!

Kids – MGMT 

Shoutout to my grade 10 English teacher Mr. Anderson for showing my class what real music is. This song has been and will always be a bop.

1973 – James Blunt

I used to argue with my sister that it was actually called 1975 but don’t let that minor error stand in the way of my love for this song. 

Real question…do you hear “Simona” or “Hey Mona”? Again, I tend to get lyrics wrong, a lot.

Island In The Sun – Weezer 

(^Ugh – so true!) 

Millennials may recognize this song from the classic film, you know the one about true friendship, young love, and of course mermaids – ‘Aquamarine’. Others may know it just because Weezer is a great band. 

Highway Don’t Care – Tim McGraw and Taylor Swift 

Confession: I am a huge country fan. Really this song is just the best of both worlds; Tim and Taylor. Two birds, one stone. 

Some gems that didn’t make the list but still deserve a shoutout: 

• Stacy’s Mom – Fountains of Wayne 

You are totally lying if you and your siblings didn’t secretly watch the music video on your parent’s desktop. 

• The Night We Met – Lord Huron 

• Show Me What I’m Looking For – Carolina Liar

• Peaches – In The Valley Below 

• Over & Over – Smallpools 

• Tongue Tied – Grouplove

• Crimson & Clover – Tommy James & The Shondells 

Does this list show you what kind of person I am? Is it really that revealing that I went on countless road trips with my family growing up and all we had were my parents old CD’s? 

Try and make your own ‘Soundtrack Of My Life’ and share it with your friends! Add some tunes that remind you of Fall to get you amped for this season! 

Happy jamming out and happy Fall Warriors! 

Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books. 
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!