My Back To School Reading Favourites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

As we enter a new semester and a new season, the weather changes have definitely given me the time to cozy up inside with a warm drink in hand, while reading my favourite books. If you’re looking for something to read, I’ve got you covered — here is my list of back-to-school reads to help you get started!

Becoming

Author: Michelle Obama

A memoir written by the United States of America’s 44th First Lady, Becoming describes Michelle Obama’s life and words of wisdom to younger generations. Specifically, this book elaborates on her roots, challenges and personal life. It evokes empowerment and outlines the journey to finding your identity, which I feel will resonate with many young individuals like myself, who need some inspiration to keep going despite feeling stuck.

the sun and her flowers

Author: Rupi Kaur

This book is filled with poems, and dives into themes of growth and healing, as well as gender equality. This book evokes lots of emotions and provides a voice of female empowerment. It does bring up sensitive topics like sexual abuse, sexism and victimization; but through these topics, Kaur was able to exemplify the resilience and strength of overcoming traumatic incidents and find her own voice in speaking out.

There you have it; those are my top two book recommendations for the back-to-school season. These reads are sure to be thought-provoking and inspirational, preparing you for a successful year ahead!

Waterloo '22