Music Society Co-President, Dave Ellis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Meet this week’s campus profile Dave, the co-preseident of the Music Society!

What year and program are you in?

It’s kind of a long answer. First year, I was in kinesiology. Second year, I switched into psychology. Nothing seemed to fit; they just didn’t feel like me, so I took a year off, did some “soul-searching” and decided to come back to Waterloo and study music – something I always did as a kid and thought, why not? Get a degree & have fun while doing it. So now, I’m in my 4A term.

What is the Music Society?

Music Society is part of the Arts Student Union (ASU). We are a collection of music students who put on events and socials. We get funding from the ASU to give back to the music students here. We try to make the university experience fun and give a place to meet people and enjoy. After all, university is supposed to be your golden years; our part is trying to make those years more enjoyable.

What are your responsibilities as co-president?

I make sure Music Society is represented by attending ASU meetings. After all, Music is a small faculty and we want to make sure our voice is heard, that funding is going where we think it’s needed, and making sure that music students are happy and well looked after. If they have any problems or concerns, I can guide them in the right direction.

What else are you involved in on campus?

I am a part of the Conrad Grebel Balinese Gamelan. Gamelan, the Indonesian word for orchestra or ensemble, can also mean people in the ensemble themselves. Think of it like the “classical music” of Bali. It’s high energy, fast, loud, intense, vibrant, and consists of interlocking parts. Due to the nature of the music, gamelan is strongly rooted in the sense of community. We have adopted Balinese sayings and practices like “gotong royong”, which is “mutual help,” and “suka duka” which is “happy together, sad together.” It has kind of become our secret saying.

Although I do a lot of work in Gamelan, I am also involved in other music ensembles here at Grebel such as the University Choir.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I love watching the TV show Archer. I play squash and swim several times a week here on campus. I like to read philosophy. I regularly attend Trivia Nights on Thursday at the Bomber. I love listening to music, both the pieces I am playing throughout the term and 50s-70s dad-rock. I also love travelling and adventure.

What do you plan to do after you graduate?

I ask myself this question every day.

I would like to get my masters in ethnomusicology either at U of T or in BC. I also would love to travel to Bali for a year to partake in the various festivals and learn their music the way they teach it because unlike western classical music, music there is a very community-orientated practice and everyone partakes, whether it’s singing, dancing or playing, which doesn’t occur in the West. There, everybody does everything, which is quite unique.

And that’s it for now.

What life lessons did you learn during your university career?

Plans change. It’s good to have an idea of what you want to do, but life is more fun when you go with the flow. You also need to stay true to yourself.

What advice, if any, would you give your first-year self?

University is not the end of the world, just relax. Life is constantly shifting and you can’t predict what is going to happen next. Have a plan, work towards it, but if something happens that forces you to change it or another opportunity comes up, don’t be afraid to take a chance because it usually works out for the best.

If you want to learn more about the University Ensembles, either to get involved or enjoy a free concert, click here.

Tianna

Waterloo '20

As of 2020, Tianna is a UW alumn who graduated with her BSc in Honours Science, with a minor in Biology and a minor in Music. She can now be found either reading fiction novels, hanging out with friends over coffee or thinking about Christian theology. She continues to blog over at https://theselight-woventhings.blogspot.com/
University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets