Meet Anh Le, the TEDxUW co-chair for 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Originally from Saigon, Vietnam, Anh is in her fourth year of Biomedical Science with a Management Studies Minor. She is excited to be part the TEDxUW  team, learn from her team, and plan the most epic and inspiring TEDxUW ever before! She has a passion for both science and finance and believes in radical truthfulness.

So, what is TEDxUW, and how did you get involved?

TEDxUW is an annual conference holding 700 delegates and provides quality, inspirational TED talks on a variety of topics. This is a great opportunity to network and make new meaningful relationships with thoughtful people.

I was a delegate in 2017 but I have been watching TED talks since middle school. TED talks always inspire me to think differently from a less popular perspective that changes my view about the world. I think it is important to share these ideas so everyone can understand the world better and become more open-minded.

TEDxUW is not just about the talks, it is about creating that meaningful experience for everyone involved. That means that we will bring workshops, games, exhibits, and delicious food so that we can build an environment where it is easier to build a more meaningful connection between people. I want to be apart of a team and lead that team to make it happen.

What’s your favourite part about TEDxUW?

My favourite part is seeing everyone come together and having their minds blown after each talk. Then they enjoy a deep conversation debating the new idea they were introduced to with the other delegates. My goals for the term are to raise awareness about TEDxUW and make sure everyone has fun and learns new important things!

What are the responsibilities of TEDxUW team members?

We have a wonderful team of organizers which can be found on our tedxuw.com website. There are 5 teams: finance, speakers relations, participant experience, external marketing, and internal marketing. Everyone on the team is excited and motivated to make the best experience possible for everyone who is coming to TEDxUW.

How can others get involved?

You can apply to be a delegate! The application form can be found on tedxuw.com and on our Facebook page. The deadline to apply is Sep 28 and then we will send you a ticket if you are admitted! There is a student discount so don’t procrastinate. The event is also open to businesses, faculty, and alumni as well, so, the more, the merrier!

We are also associated to TED so you can find different TEDx from different communities. Because this is TEDxUW, we want to represent our own University of Waterloo community. We run info sessions and booths all around campus so come find us!

What other things are you involved in?

I am currently an Logistics analyst for UW Finance Association because I love finance and trading stocks. I am a Biochemistry teaching assistant, a research assistant for the lipid enzyme discovery lab, a Student leadership program facilitator, and Peer mentorship trainer. I am also taking a full course load!

What’s your motto?

If you’re not failing, you’re not pushing your limits, and if you’re not pushing your limits, you’re not maximizing your potential.

So fail, learn, and repeat!

To learn more about TEDxUW, check out the links below!

RSVP to our conference & apply for tickets at  – https://www.facebook.com/events/353543705178182/

Website – www.tedxuw.com

Instagram – www.instagram.com/tedxuw

Hey! I'm Kim, an undergraduate Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am passionate about health communication and policies, and I love making information beautiful & fun to read in all disciplines. My hobbies include watching Netflix, reading fictional novels - especially teen drama (there's no age limit on twilight), and buying stationery that I never seem to use. I hope you enjoy the content I've worked on, feel free to connect with me and let me know your thoughts!
I enjoy naps, cake and sarcasm. Besides that I'm in Honours Science at the University of Waterloo!