This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Meet Mariam. She’s in her final term of Arts and Business Honours Psychology. During her final term at Waterloo, she was the Vice-President of the Arts and Business Society. Her Campus Waterloo decided to ask Mariam about her experience here at the University of Waterloo

1.  What is your favourite movie of all time?

I would have to say that it’s “Below Eight” – it’s a great story of friendship and loyalty. “Kuch Kuch Hota Hai” is definitely up in there in the favourites as is “Bon Cop Bad Cop”.

2. Tell us about your involvement at school?                

I was the Vice President of Events with the Arts and Business Society. This past year, we have been focusing on fostering a connected student community by engaging students through more events and workshops. It’s been a fantastic experience working with the Arts and Business Society Exec! This past term, I’ve also been working on a showcase with the Native Studies (NATST 272) class. This showcase focused on bringing the issues in Contemporary Native Communities in Canada to the forefront of our conversations. In the past, I have been a part of a couple of clubs on campus including “Free the Children”, “English Tutors” and I’ve also had the honour of being on the valedictorian selection committee.

(Arts and Business Society)

3. When did you get started with volunteering outside of school?

I started volunteering outside of school when I was in middle school. As I developed a passion for Taekwondo and Baseball, I recognized that many of the people that were making it possible for me to have those opportunities were volunteers. Later on, I started volunteering with Moeen Centre, which supports children and young adults living with disabilities. I think volunteering is one way of being connected to your community, which has always been important to me.

4. How would you describe your experience being involved on-campus?

It’s been a rewarding experience. I have met new people, attained different perspectives and got outside of my comfort zone. Recently, I was able to pitch my ideas to start-up companies at the UW Apprentice Competition. It was completely outside of my comfort zone and because it seemed like such a daunting experience, it made the entire experience so much more rewarding.

(UW Apprentice)

5.Would you encourage others to get involved on-campus?

Absolutely. Being involved has been another way of learning for me. As students, we go to university to earn a degree. Education goes beyond what you absorb in the classroom and I think that’s one of the reasons UW students become so involved with on and off campus organizations and initiatives.

6. Who is your role model?

I wouldn’t say I have just one role model. My dad is my role model when it comes to patience (and cooking!); my mom is my role model when it comes to empathy. I have a friend that has an incredible moral compass, which has inspired me to see things from a different perspective. Some people have taught me honesty; others have taught me respect and discipline. There is something in everyone that you can learn from and implement. It is just up to us what we choose to look for when we are learning from others.

7. What does the future hold for you?

Graduation. I have explored many pathways and there are so many more that I have yet to explore. I definitely want to continue being involved with some of the projects that I am involved in now. I also want to study a new language, learn a different culture, perhaps study law, get a deeper understanding of the nonprofit sector or maybe even become involved in our government. Perhaps do it all. We will see what the future holds for me but I know this: I am excited for the future.

Photo By: Flora Tang (UW student)

University of Waterloo Honours French and Business 2019, Her Campus Waterloo Campus Correspondent, Social Media Guru, Tech enthusiast.  Fluent in emoji, HTML and CSS. Avid reader of Refinery 29, Buzzfeed, Mashable & Tech Crunch. Follow on twitter @jena_tweets