Justice for “Justice” — What Happened to the Preteen?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Being a preteen during the late 2000s and early 2010s while simultaneously going through the awkward stage was no easy feat. I like to think of my time as a preteen being represented by a house: Tumblr fashion and photo trends laid the foundation, while the walls were teen YouTubers, who had more influence on me than my own mother probably did. The furniture inside the house, however, were my fluctuating insecurities, inability to cope with letting go of my childhood, and the constant pressure to uphold beauty and personality standards set by strangers on the internet. 

As a result, I spent the majority of that time in my life being incredibly angry — whether it was at myself or the world, I didn’t know — and feeling extravagantly inadequate. Nowadays, I look back at peplum tops, skater skirts, and our peculiar mustache obsession with fondness; it’s a simple nostalgia to me now, and I even find myself smiling whenever I see a photo of a pastel penny board or flower crowns. Looking back at these material time capsules also had me thinking, do kids even go through awkward stages anymore? In fact, does the preteen stage itself exist anymore?” 

In a world where apps like TikTok and Instagram are more accessible than ever and shows like Euphoria are what is now considered the average portrayal of North American high school life, it’s easy to see why and how children are completely skipping the middle awkward stage and jumping straight from childhood to young adulthood. Children of this generation are no longer given the grace period to be rightfully awkward, gawky, and mourn their childhood. Instead, there becomes a suffocating pressure to conform to societal standards the minute a child gets a phone and gains access to social media. What to wear, do, and think — there’s a complete guidebook everywhere you look online. Best (or worst) of all, it’s totally free. 

The “tween” industry used to be booming, with popular stores like Justice and LaSenza Girl dominating the game. Their clothes weren’t traditionally fashionable nor chic, but both stores were filled with colourful and patterned clothes that were fun and age-appropriate, for the most part. However, Justice closed all physical locations in early 2021 and now remains available only online. LaSenza Girl shut down in 2013. All of this can be attributed to the fact that they don’t have a target audience to fulfill anymore. Children are no longer interested in wearing a hot pink zebra print hoodie; they’re skipping right to mom jeans from Zara and chunky sweaters from H&M. 

Perhaps the new normal is the fact that children are growing up a lot quicker and are taking on trends with an ease we’ve never seen before. It’s a perfect example of the digital world and its effects on children, which can be detrimental but also positive. If anything, it has definitely alerted parents and the public alike on the importance of internet safety and protection.

Jasmine Yan

Waterloo '23

Jasmine is a fourth-year student psychology student in her final term at the University of Waterloo. She loves music, figure skating, being nocturnal, and anything and everything pink.