If You Watched Squid Game, You’re Gonna Love These 5 Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Recently, everyone’s been talking about Squid Game — and no, I’m not exaggerating when I say everyone. Regardless of whether you’ve watched it or haven’t watched it (probably because you don’t understand the hype), everybody’s heard of Squid Game.  

I’ve been watching Korean dramas for about eight years now, and I’ve seen so many amazing shows. If you’re like me and enjoy shows that leave you on the edge of your seat like Squid Game, and ones that don’t have romance, I bet you’ll love this list of k-dramas I’ve come up with! 

1. Kingdom

With an interesting mix of horror, politics, and zombies, this drama kept me enthralled throughout the 2 seasons. I loved the plot twist in this show so much! It’s like that Eureka! moment that you get when you suddenly put all the pieces together, and it finally makes sense (I still get chills thinking about it). Bonus: Kingdom, Ashin of the North gives a bit of backstory to the TV show, and it features an amazing plot twist, too! 

1. Strangers from Hell

Also known as Hell is Other People, I find the name to be well-fitting for what happens in this drama. We follow our protagonist as he gradually falls into a pit of insanity. It’s mostly a slow-burn, as we see the moments that contribute to his eventual fall. 

1. Extracurricular

Extracurricular starts off slow, but it gradually gets more interesting as we find out more about the main character and his side-job — or rather, his extracurricular activities. This show ends on a cliffhanger, so beware! 

1. Save Me

Save Me has two seasons (2017-2019). They both touch on the theme of religion, although the approaches are different. The first season features a religious cult, while season two is about a church being used to cover up illegal activities. Both seasons are somber, and in my opinion, they do a good job of showing how gullible people can be.

1. Mouse

Mouse is a show that left me with mixed feelings. There are many details that go unnoticed, as the show’s main focus is on a serial killer. There is a rather crude depiction of what a psychopath thinks like, which made me uncomfortable at times. However, I would like to point out that all psychopaths are not murderers; the media plays an important role in perpetuating this stereotype. All in all, some people liked the ending, and some did not. Personally, I found it satisfying, but it still felt like something was missing. At the end of the day, it all depends on your interpretation. 

These are just some of the many dramas that I have enjoyed (and that I can remember right now, since I have a bad memory). Other really good dramas include Beyond Evil, Flower of Evil (I was so overwhelmed!), Sky Castle, Law School, Hello Monster, and School 2015.

Hi there! I'm a psychology student at the University of Waterloo. I love studying, and on the side, I am also a big fan of writing. In my free time, I am either on pinterest or I'm in the kitchen, trying out different recipes.