I’m In A Relationship On Valentine’s Day For The First Time Ever, But Here’s Why I Still Think The Holiday Is Useless

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Until a few months ago, I was that girl who was notoriously single. I walked around reminding myself that I didn’t need a man, and that I was happier alone. Not to mention, I may have rolled my eyes whenever I saw a couple holding hands or kissing in public. So, as you could probably guess, I hated Valentine’s Day. I hated that there was a holiday designated to separating the couples from the singles, and I hated that it was a constant reminder of how alone and loveless I was.

Naturally, I was more shocked than anyone when my relationship status dramatically changed for the first time in my entire life. It has been quite the rollercoaster, and at times it feels like I’m living inside a great romance novel. I’m glad I tore down the denial and negativity I have had for so long. But there’s one belief about relationships that has remained constant through this change: I still hate Valentine’s Day. I have different reasoning as to why it’s my least favourite holiday, but regardless, my opinion remains unchanged. 

Firstly, I never truly understood the emphasis people place on gift-giving (yes, it is my lowest Love Language with a whopping 0%). I do not want my S/O to buy me anything; I would rather him express his gratitude and love by spending time with me or telling me how much I mean to him. The money someone spends on you does not equate to the amount of love they have for you. I’ve always found Valentine’s Day to be yet another excuse to overload your S/O with gifts they do not need. 

And on that note, are we even certain what the origin of Valentine’s Day is? Are we sure it’s not just a holiday made up by companies in order to sell more cards, chocolates and gifts? Because the more I think about it, the more sensical this theory seems. Anyway, I digress.

Secondly, and I mean this as nicely as possible, I do not need a special day to express my love for someone. Sure, it might be a nice reminder for some, but it may actually do more harm than help. Valentine’s Day seems to be more of a “hey, you’re alone” reminder for the single folks than anything else. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll never neglect to show my appreciation for my loved ones; I just don’t need Valentine’s Day to guide me to do so.

To conclude, I’d like to remind you of a tragic moment in The Office caused by harmful Valentine’s Day pressures. Recall Kelly and Ryan’s on-again-off-again relationship, and how he clearly wanted less commitment than she did. But because he hooked up with her on February 13th, everyone assumed that this was a grand gesture of his love for her. Alas, the dangers of Valentine’s Day.

So, this year, I think it’s time we remove the Valentine’s Day pressures we all face, single or not, in order to spare ourselves the drama and unnecessary purchases.  

Abby is a National Writer for Her Campus and the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Waterloo. As part of the Wellness team, she covers topics related to mental health and relationships, but also frequently writes about digital trends, career advice, current events, and more. In her articles, she loves solving online debates, connecting with experts, and reflecting on her own experiences. She is also passionate about spreading the word about important cultural issues such as climate change and women’s rights; these are topics she frequently discusses in her articles. Abby began producing digital content at BuzzFeed, where she now has over 300 posts and 60 million overall views. Since then, she has also written for various online publications such as Thought Catalog, Collective World, and Unpacked. In addition to writing, Abby is also a UX and content designer; she most frequently spends her days building innovative, creative digital experiences. She has other professional experiences ranging from marketing to graphic design. When she’s not writing, Abby can be found reading the newest Taylor Jenkins Reid book, watching The Office, or eating pizza. She’s also been a dancer since she was four years old, and has most recently become obsessed with taking spin classes.
Hey - I'm Vanessa Geitz, a fourth-year Public Health student at the University of Waterloo. I am currently the President and Campus Correspondent for HC Waterloo and love writing articles! Also a big fan of the Bachelor, BBT, and books.