Life > Experiences

I Just Finished My First Co-op Term — Here’s How It Went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

As we head into final exams, I’ve begun reflecting on this last term. I’m in co-op, so I don’t actually have final exams — but just like exams have you reviewing what you’ve learned for the duration of the semester, the end of my co-op has me doing the same.

Initially, I was worried about finding a co-op because I figured, who would want a first-year English student to work for them? Fortunately, that was not the case. Applying for co-ops, while a bit tedious, isn’t actually a hard task. However, it’s definitely time-consuming searching through the postings and figuring out what needs to be included in your application. After the first round, I received many interviews and then at the end of that cycle, I received many offers. That was nice, as I had my pick of the lot and could choose the best option for me, instead of having to adjust for another position.

I decided to go with a Technical Writer position at NCR, a software banking company located in Waterloo. For the entirety of the fall term, I received updates about a return-to-office date, what the term would look like, and who I was working with. It looked like we would be in person for the first week of January with some remote work, which was so exciting.

My experience has been great this term. I’ve had the opportunity to meet so many people and further my understanding of technical writing. Getting to really sink my teeth into projects independently whilst also having someone to guide me is something I really value. Co-op is amazing if you want to try out different career options and gain experience before heading into the real world. Plus, it’s nice making money instead of just dumping it all into tuition.

I also enjoyed getting to see all the work that goes into software and the Scrum method. It’s interesting actually being involved in the process and watching something small develop and grow.

Unfortunately, with the lockdown and so many restrictions still in place, the return-to-office date was rescheduled to the end of March; however, this co-op term I was unable to go in anyway. While I do feel as though going into the office would have given me more opportunities to learn and challenge myself, it was still enjoyable having the freedom to work from home. We’ll see what the next co-op brings! If you’re finishing your co-op or heading into exams, I wish you good luck!

Hey! I'm a third-year honours arts student at the University of Waterloo! I major in English with a Digital Arts Communication minor and a tech writing specialization! Oh, and I also write for HC Waterloo! I'm an avid reader (go Gryffindor), obsessed with friends and gilmore girls, and a plant connoisseur!